Chapter Nine: Nyx

Relma had to admit that she enjoyed her time in King Gormath's castle, but it was brief. The halls within it were kept warm by many animal skins, and there was proof of many hunts. The food was excellent, and King Gormath proved a hospitable host indeed.

During this time, she learned a bit about the history of the Conquista. Apparently, the Conquista peasants originated from the Sun Soul Empire. Many of them had ancestors in the conquered peoples of the Conquista. By now, the intermarriage between the various races had created something new.

King Gormath himself spent most of his time working. Most of his days were spent in an office, reading, affixing his seal to measures, and other things. And his servants seemed to like him a great deal.

It probably helped that she could speak the language, thanks to Elranor. She did her best to give Estela a sense of it. However, that proved problematic since Relma did not know how to speak to her. Her voice, as a servant of Elranor, was naturally translated.

Thus, Relma ended up doing virtually all of the communication—at least until Wrynncurth began to pick bits and pieces of it up; he did so quickly, for apparently, he'd been down this way before. So much of what he was learning, he was actually remembering.

By the time Relma and Estela departed to find Ajax. Wrynncurth had learned or perhaps remembered enough to remain behind and study. Jomas stayed with him, though Relma wasn't sure why.

Estela and Relma stood by the castle gates, about to leave. King Gormath, however, came out to meet her. "Are you truly in earnest, going into the jungle alone? I could provide you with a guide."

"Estela, King Gormath is asking us if we intend to enter the jungle," said Relma. "He's offering us a guide and doesn't seem to think this is a good idea."

"Tell him that we appreciate his concern," said Estela. "However, I wish to find my companion, and I can track him well enough."

Relma translated.

"Very well," said Gormath, nodded in concern. "But you should beware the Queen of the Jaguar, Nyx. She is a ravenous beast that often feasts on the flesh of those who invade her territory. Your friend may already be dead.

"Few have looked on her and lived. I am one of those few."

Relma looked at Estela and wondered why she was so reckless about this. "Estela, King Gormath thinks this is a bad idea. There is a Queen of Jaguars called Nyx, who eats humans who invade her domain. He says that Ajax may already be dead.

"He knows because he is one of the few people to look on her and live."

Estela kept a polite face on. "Tell King Gormath that we shall be cautious."

"Not cautious enough not to go, however," mused Gormath. "But do as you wish."

"He notes that you are not cautious enough not to go but says you may do as you wish," said Relma as Gormath walked away. Relma did not enjoy repeating people repeatedly, but it was her job.

The next morning, Estela led them into the lands, seeking Ajax's trail. She found it quickly, taking several paths through the farmlands. Ajax had been sighted near a farm, looking at the sheep. Pigs seemed to be a common choice for livestock among the people here, very common. The people did not seem malnourished or badly off, and Relma inquired about taxes. Gormath was apparently considered very lenient. Soon, they went beyond the farms and into the woods that were unlike any Relma had seen. They were a place with many ferns and a moist, humid air so that sweat dripped down their brows.

Often, Estela would have to hack branches away with a heavy blade borrowed for this purpose. Huge spiders dwelled in these places. Some had cocoons that contained what might have been rodents. Relma also saw several serpents around the trees. She wondered if Rioletta or House Gabriel had been here before.