Chapter Three: The Stand

Estela swiftly led them up a set of damaged stairs to a higher level. Relma had missed these before, they'd been hidden behind a shattered pillar. As they climbed, she glanced out a window. There she saw the shambling monsters moving through the ruins. Ajax walked behind, sniffing the air. Relma was between them, helping Wrynncurth up the stairs.

"Why are we going this way?" asked Jomas.

"I saw a fountain on the higher levels that are working," said Estela. "Don't ask me how. There was only one way into that area, and it's up a staircase. One man could hold off an army for hours.

"We'll rotate defenders and have two people on watch. One in front and one on support." Turning around a corner, she rushed into a large room that looked like it had once been used for prayers. Sure enough, there was a fountain springing out clear water.

Relma realized how thirsty she was and moved forward to drink from it.

"You want us to go into a dead end?" asked Ajax.

"We're trapped, either way, Ajax," said Estela. "And this room has a fountain. Now, at least they can only come at us from one direction."

"Yes, and we can't break out," said Ajax.

No one responded to that.

"Ajax, you're on the first watch," said Estela. "You'll kill those things as they come, and rotate with Jomas in an hour. Then I'll take your place.

"Relma tend to Wrynncurth, and anyone who gets hurt.

"Wrynncurth, take an inventory of our supplies and try to ration them to last as long as possible." As she did, Estela threw off her pack, and Relma did the same. Jomas and the others followed suit, except Ajax, who didn't have a pack.

"One of them was taken down by a spear throw and killed by a cyclops," said Wrynncurth. "The other I've already sent away. If I'm killed here, I imagine I can possess the chap."

"Good," said Estela. "Go out abroad and see if you can find us help. We'll hold here until then."

Ajax peered up from the threshold of the door. Outside, Relma could hear the shambling of feet walking into the cathedral. She wondered if Alchara had released her defenses or hadn't been able to maintain them. In the air, Relma sensed a sort of power still here.

Perhaps Alchara had decided it wasn't worth the effort to save an enemy.

"Estela, what is your plan here?" asked Ajax.

"What does any Lord under siege plan?" asked Estela, flourishing her sword. "To break the enemy army.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were scouting for my father?"

"I'm scouting for Relma; King Tyus can be food for my pack for all I care," said Ajax. "And for the record, he wants to invade."