Chapter Fourteen: Dinner with Durag

The chamber within that Relma saw was a circular metal one without decoration of any kind. The floor was well-cleaned and shined so you could see your own face within it, and the ceiling was low. It gave off a chilling feeling for Relma as she walked in. At the center was an unadorned altar with a box within it. It was black and made of metal, and Relma eyed it with concern.

She had a bad feeling about this.

"Ah, and here it is at last. This place will allow one to reach people far away from us. So long as they have a place in the Road of Ancient Stone," said Durag. "You should be able to locate Lucius easily enough."

"Thank you," said Relma. "How do I work it?"

"Simply place your hand into the box," said Durag. "Oh, mind you, this device can be... painful to use. And it gets worse the longer you use it. I recommend preparing yourself and then only talking for a short time."

"How do I use it?" asked Relma.

"Simply focus on who you wish to speak with," said Durag. "Lucius should be available. He usually is." Then he turned and walked on out, shutting the door slowly.

Within the room, Relma could only see a little. She checked to make sure the door was not locked. "Thank you."

Then Relma inserted her hand into the box.

As she did, she felt a slight tickling sensation in her hand, which made her flex her hand instinctively. Focusing, she sent her will out to Lucius as quickly as she could.

"Ah, Relma, I had hoped you'd be able to make contact, though not in this manner," said Lucius. "Are you using Durag's magic?"

"Yes," said Relma, feeling the tickling become pointed. She tried not to think about it.

"Not a prisoner, I hope?" asked Lucius. "He is generally the sort to let them communicate to gain leverage."

"No, I-" Relma felt a spark of pain and drew the hand out on reflex. Then she put it back in and felt the tickling. Lucius' presence was there.

"Relma," said Lucius. "Your connection broke out. He's not forcing you to use the communications box, is he?"

"Not forcing," said Relma. Then she drew out the hand and put it back in. "Just giving me the option." The tickling seemed to be turning to pain much faster. "I was taken captive by the Sun Soul Empire, but I convinced them to take me here. I've offered to try and negotiate a ceasefire to their benefit with the Dragon... Dragon Empire!"

With a cry, Relma steadied herself and focused on controlling her pain. She let it wash through her and dulled it. She decided to try Montazus' theory.

"I see," said Lucius. "I would guess, then, that you want me to make contact with Queen Isriath, as well as Telix's Brood?"

"Yes," said Relma, her every fiber trying to force her to take her hand out. "There is information I need to give them on how things are going here." The pain was getting worse, but Relma was able to steady herself. She felt her hand blackening, and even if she knew she wasn't being hurt, there was the reflex to draw it out.

"Well, that doesn't sound too unreasonable," said Lucius ruefully. "I recommend drawing up some notes before you make any official contact, however. You want to have your agenda set."

"I'll keep it in mind!" said Relma before drawing out her hand. She looked at her hand for a moment, making sure it wasn't burning up. It wasn't, of course, and she knew she could not afford to end the conversation here.

The flesh was completely whole.

Putting it back in was even more difficult, and she was assailed with the same agony. Her attempts to dull her pain with healing were of little use, and controlling it sent sweat down her brow.