Chapter 8

At the Branagh house, Alice was putting the finishing touches on a birthday present she got for Vlad. 

"Finally picking up my interest in vampires?" Robin asked, she looked to see her brother standing at the door.

"The Draculas are our neighbors, thought I'd do more research on whom we are living next to," Alice answered. "Turns out there's more to it than what they show on television." 

"Excellent," Robin nodded his head. "Due to your change of interests, I suggest you take down that blue and green lava lamp. Change those beaded bedroom curtains with cobwebs, and give those flower floor pillows to Maxine or Barbara."

"I'm not changing my interests, I'm just being supportive," Alice corrected as she slipped a card into the gift bag.

"ALICE! ROBIN" Chloe called from downstairs.

"Come on, let's head to our vampiric friends," Robin gleamed as he left the room. 

Soon they sat around the table in the castle as Vlad opened their gifts from them. 

Vlad was opening his gift from Robin. "Glow in the dark plastic fangs, and a bottle of fake blood." He looked up with a smile. "Thanks, Robin."

"It's dead cool," Robin insisted. "Let me show you."

"Open mine," Alice said as she pushed the bag to him. "Chloe and I actually put some thought into our gifts."

Vlad opened his gift. "Two comic books,  Marvel Boy and Thunderbolts: First Strikes, and..." He pulled out a ladybug charm."

"Ladybugs are said to bring good luck," Alice answered. "Figured you'd need some."

"Thanks, Alice," Vlad said as he looked back at the charm. "I'll still be needing your lucky earrings."

"You're lucky it's your birthday, Fang Brain," Alice groaned as she crossed her arms.

"Finally my turn," Chloe said as she pushed her gift toward Vlad. Chloe looked excited as Vlad opened his gift.

"You mind reader, I love it," Vlad cheered. "What is it exactly?"

"It's a sun lamp," Chloe answered. "You said that you wanted to get rid of that ghostly complexion."

"That's not all you'll get rid of if the Count gets his hands on it," Robin warned. He put his hands on his head, going cross-eyed. "Oh, I'm melting."The three stared at him. "I'm melting! I'm melting!"

"Good point," Vlad said as he looked at it, he lit up seconds later. "Let's try it out in the crypt. It'll be safer down there."

"But will we be?" Robin asked, he had put in fake teeth and started laughing. Vlad looked at Alice, they both shooked their head and laughed. They went down to the crypt, they all wore special sunglasses, and Robin flipped through family pictures. 

"I can think of better places to sunbathe," Chloe admitted.

Vlad quickly shut it off, then took off the glasses. "So do I look any different?" The Branaghs took off their sunglasses and looked at him.

 Alice reached over; she grabbed his face, turning his head in different ways. "Just in the cheeks a little."

"It's a start," Vlad lit up. "I'll have this ghostly complexion gone by Valentine's Day."

" Maybe you should get sunblock to wear with this," Alice suggested.

"He's trying to get off his ghostly complexion," Chloe reminded her.

"Still sun radiation can be bad for breathers too," Alice reminded her. "Too much and it can make you sick. Our cousin got sun poisoned that one holiday, remember?"