40

Maddy sat with her back against the wall. Her chained wrists rested on her knees as tears dripped from her eyes.

The torch lights were all lit up. All lit up to allow her to read the piled of books that were piled around her, many of which she couldn't even reach.

She didn't want to read the books. She didn't want to read on becoming some submissive queen to Xavier. She knew he didn't want a submissive queen anyway.

He might not have wanted equal power but she knew he had reasons. He would have told her if he didn't like the idea of her being equal, he would not have evaded it with tradition. He meant what he said. She just had not liked it and still did not.

If he wanted her to be submissive, he would have brought her to heel a long time ago. He would not have let her mini rebellion happen during their last fight.

Sure he was not perfect with his approached but he didn't want a mate like the ones in the books of rules. He was a man who tried to make her happy where he could. Even if his position limited it.

He didn't want a woman who would kneel at his feet all day or at the door when he came to their room. She knew that pretty well. He didn't want a woman who was going to be quiet unless spoken to.

She was opposed to everything suggested in the books. She was scarred from some of the books which just seemed to be novels of erotica. She had never read such things before.

The rule books were so stupid and contradictory. She had to be polite, charismatic, greeting all the guests but she wasn't supposed to even look in the eyes of other men. She was supposed to be reserved and quiet.

Well she got the reserved part down slightly, considering she hated interacting with people. How would she even greet guests when she hated talking to them. If only "Mistress" Ivera knew about her massive panic attack the first time she went for dinner with members of the council.

She could hardly remember it as it had happened. She just knew that she was panicking badly. She had fled to her chambers.

Maybe she was not so fit to be queen. The submissive quiet part of the book that said she had to behave like a dog basically did not resonate with her at all. She did however need to greet people and speak with nobles as a queen. She had gotten that much out of it. She couldn't do that. She had the social aptitude of a shut in pineapple.

She shook her head. She didn't have to worry about the future as it was. The horrid vampire had made it clear that that did not matter. She would be holding Maddy into what she expected in a queen.

The woman was vile and cruel. Maddy was remembering more things little by little. The memories were torturous. They were better when they were forgotten. She wanted to forget it all. The few tiny fragments of her childhood she wanted them all to disappear. She didn't want them!

Despite all the torture there was one memory. Only one that she could think upon fondly. It was a soft little light, a small bit of beauty in the misery of her first few years of life.

A little girl playing with a man. He entertained her once voluntarily. He had seen it. He had seen how bored she was sitting at the dinner table with a bunch of vampires, werewolves and lycans, all far above her in age.

The memory was so faded. She had to be three or four years old.

The memory was the only one that could make her happy in the way it brought her to tears.

Her mate. Her Xavier, playing with her, a broken little girl that had been wires into obedience.

She knew that if he had known he would have saved her. If he had known she was his mate back then he would have taken her far away. He would have spared her the suffering.