Heart Monitor -2

"Let's go! Sit, sit, sit, sit." ushered Coach when we walked in class. "We got a lot to cover today. Let's go! Quicker!" 

"Hey, Stiles. Sit behind me, dude." Scott ordered, pointing at the empty seat in front of him. Stiles quickly grabbed his bag and started for the seat, but Allison got to the seat first. This was going to be good.

"Let's settle down!" Coach ordered.

"Let's start with a quick summary of last night's reading." A few kids raised their hands and Coach sighed when he saw Greenberg.

"Greenberg, put your hand down. Everyone knows you did the reading. How about, uh..."

He looked around the class and looked at Scott who was trying to avoid his gaze. "McCall?"

Scott looked up in alarm. "What?" I shook my head. If he didn't want to be called, he shouldn't have avoided his gaze. When I got to Freshmen year that's the advice Derek gave me.

"The reading?"

"Last night's reading?"

"How about, uh, the reading of The Gettysburg Address?"

"What?" Scott asked confused. "That's sarcasm. You familiar with the term "sarcasm," McCall?"

Scott and I both looked at Stiles. "Very." Stiles smiled embarrassed like a little kid.

"Did you do the reading, or not?" Coach asked. "Uh, I think I forgot..."

"Nice work, McCall! It's not like you're not averaging a D in this class." A few kids laughed which was rude.

"Come on, buddy--you know I can't keep you on the team if you have a D. How about you summarize, uh, the previous night's reading?"

Stiles pulled out the phone and I looked over his shoulder while Coach was preoccupied and saw the meter rise over 100.

"No? How about the, uh, the night before that? How about you summarize anything you've ever read in your entire life?"

"I-I...uh..." Scott stuttered embarrassed.

The meter kept rising and I looked at Scott, worried he would shift here and then.

"No? A blog? How about, uh, how about, uh... the back of a cereal box? No? How about the adults-only warning from your favorite website you visit every night? Anything?"

Coach sighed "Thank you, McCall. Thank you."

He then did the most dramatic thing ever, banging his hand on the textbook.

"Thank you, McCall! Thank you for extinguishing any last flicker of hope I have for your generation. You just blew it for everybody. Thanks. Next practice, you can start with suicide runs...unless that's too much reading."

All of a sudden, the meter went down, I looked at Scott and saw Allison holding his hand under the desk. I smiled widely and bit my lip to stop from squealing.

"All right, everybody else, settle down!"

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"It's her." I said proudly as we walked.

"What do you mean?" Scott asked confused.

"It's Allison. Remember what you told me about the night of the full moon? You were thinking about her, right? About protecting her. Remember the night of the first lacrosse game? You said you could hear her voice out on the field."

Scott nodded remembering "Yeah, I did..." Stiles nodded.

"Well, so that's what brought you back so you could score. And then, after the game, in the locker room, you didn't kill her-- at least, not like how you were trying to kill me and Izzy."

"She brings you back, is what we're saying." I said cutting Stiles off.

"No, no, no. But it's not always true, because literally every time I'm kissing her, or-or touching her--" Stiles interrupted.

"No, that's not the same. When you're doing that, you're just another hormonal teenager thinking about sex, you know?" Scott dazed off and I gave him a shocked expression.

"You're thinking about sex right now, aren't you?"

He smiled sheepishly. "Yeah. Sorry." Stiles sighed, expecting it.

"That's fine. Look, back in the classroom, when she was holding your hand, that was different, okay? I don't think she makes you weak-- I-I think she actually gives you control." I nodded and raised a finger.

"That's what I meant when I said we had our anchors, we don't always need them, but they bring us back when we can't come back."

Stiles nodded "You mean, because I love her?"

"Exactly." Scott froze when he realized what he just said. "Did I just say that?" He asked, double checking.

"Yes, you just said that."

"I love her." Stiles nodded impatiently. "That's great! Now, moving on--"

"No, no, no, really-- I think I'm totally in love with her."

Stiles nodded impatiently "And that's beautiful. Now, before you go off and write a sonnet, can we figure this out, please? Because you obviously can't be around her all the time."

Scott nodded getting back on track. "Yeah, yeah, yeah...sorry. So, what do I do?" Scott paced in a circle.

"I don't know. Yet." Scott and I exchanged glances when he had that look on his face.

"Oh, no. You're getting an idea, aren't you?"

"Yeah..."

"Is this idea gonna get me in trouble?"

"Maybe."

"Is this idea gonna cause me physical pain?"

"Yeah, definitely. Come on!"

"What are we doing?" Stiles led us outside to one of the nearby buildings.

"You'll see...hold on...Okay, stand right there." Stiles asked as he made Scott stand still.

"Do you have your keys?" Scott nodded, pulling them out.

"Perfect. Hold'em up like so. Now, whatever happens, just think about Allison. Try to find her voice like you did at the game. Got it?"

Scott nodded wearily. "Okay..."

Stiles nodded and dragged me to the side "Just keep holding it right there."

I turned to Stiles and turned on my serious face. "Seriously? This is your plan! They're gonna beat him to a pulp!"

"He'll heal." I gave him a glare before he rushed off to the sidewalk. I sighed, checking to make sure the owner of the parked car and his buddies wouldn't see me.

While they were busy, I drew out a single claw and walked alongside the truck, leaving a huge white mark as I walked.

When I got to Stiles, he exclaimed loudly so the guys could hear. "Hey, hey, hey, dude! What do you think you're doing to that truck, bro???"

"What the hell?" The guy yelled angry.

Scotts eyes widen in shock when they came at him, punching him till he hit the ground. I winced as Stiles exclaimed "Ow! My God. Wow."

They kept beating him while Stiles and I kept checking the phone. I winced as they all took turns beating him.

"Oh, that's not okay. Scott, come on, buddy..." The meter started going down, meaning Stiles's plan had worked.

"Stop!" Harris yelled as he started approaching.

"Hey, stop it right now!" When they guys scrambled, and Harris looked between the three of us.

"What do you idiots think you're doing?"

And we're doomed.