Chocolate and Conversations

"Nate, can I talk to you for a second?" Cameron said quietly. It had taken him a lot of self talk to force himself to approach the swimmer before school this morning. The blonde was sitting on a bench in front of the French classroom with all his friends, laughing and roughhousing. Cameron really didn't see himself as super shy, just ....he just hated conflict in every way possible, and he couldn't imagine how Nate was going to react. This was why book people were so much easier than real life.

"OOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," his friends catcalled.

Danny, a red headed guy , dramatically stood up, releasing Nate from a headlock. "I promise, we were just messing around! Don't get jealous He's all yours!!" Three other guys backed slightly hands up, laughing.

"Dude!" said another guy, Dylan or something. "Your boyfriend's looking particularly fine today." He approached Cameron circling and gave out a low whistle. Cameron looked down at his everyday clothes of jeans and a tshirt, with a flannel over and his newly washed Ravenclaw scarf. He looked up at Dylan and snorted. The other boy leaned forward biting his lip and shaking his head. "Totally not kidding." He brought up a hand towards Cameron's face who stepped back, surprised. "Look how pink his cheeks get.  He smells like vanilla." Dylan's voice was soft.

"Ok! Ok!" Nate pushed Dylan back, while Cameron turned around with his back to the group, horrible aware that this face was on fire. "That's enough of that. Jeez Dylan, gay much?"

Dylan sat back down on the bench, picking up his backpack uncomfortably. "Uhhhh, well. Maybe?" His friends turned to look at him with surprise. Dylan just shrugged his shoulders.

"What about me? Do you think I'm hot?" "No man, ignore that jerk! He's into me!" Nate's friends circled Dylan vying for attention, lifting up their shirts to expose their sixpacks.

Dylan laughed, a little forced. "You guys are all trolls." His eyes lingered on Cameron's back as he walked away with Nate, inwardly asking some questions of himself that he'd never thought to ask.

--------------

"Are you the gay whisperer or something?" Nate joked as they walked down the hall. It was just a few minutes before the first bell but most other kids were heading towards their classes. Cameron stopped in front of one of his favorite benches, sitting down. Nate eagerly sat down next to him.

"I'm so glad we have a few seconds alone." Nate gently picked up Cameron's hand. "This is so awesome. I'm heading to the farm this afternoon with Mia. We're going to help feed the animals. Do you and Leah want to come with us?"

It was overcast but the shadows still were a good effect on Nate. Cameron really looked at him. Tall, blonde, muscular. Big leaf green eyes. An open trusting smile. Comfortable in his body. Comfortable in his attraction for Cameron. Kind, thoughtful, funny. Just about perfect in every way.

Cameron squeezed his eyes shut. This was horrible. Just about the most horrible thing he'd ever had to do. The only thing that made this possible was remembering Ryan yesterday, his body trembling with fear that Cameron would walk away from the delicate but so amazing connection that they had begun to explore. Cameron had practiced in his head all last night, lying in Ryan's arms, what he would say. He'd planned to be really honest, to be forthright, that he just didn't feel any kind of spark with Nate.

But sitting here with Nate holding his hand and smiling so earnestly, Cameron realized that his planned honesty might not be all the truth. If Ryan wasn't around, he would definitely give Nate a shot. Sure it couldn't remotely compare to how he felt about Ryan.  Being with Ryan felt like a nuclear explosion, but he still felt a warmth being with Nate. How could he hurt someone like this? But it's not like they were in a relationship. It was only one date. Cameron wanted to throw up. It was all so much.