It Never Happened

It Never Happened

What else could Cameron do? The next morning he rolled out of bed, looking neither left or right, showered and dressed in the bathroom and made breakfast for Leah. Scrambled eggs, fluffy and baby chick yellow with no brown at all, beat with tons of air so the curds were soft and pillowy. Little butter. Pinch of salt. Delicious.

"Cameron, can I have some toast too?" Leah spoke softly sitting down in chair, clutching her obscenely pink stuffed animal. He glanced over at her and saw she drooped in her chair, her brown hair scraggly half in and half out of her braids from yesterday. Dark circles shadowed her eyes.

"Are you feeling ok, Leah? Did you sleep ok?"

"Yeah. Lambie had nightmares though, so I had to sing to her all night long."

"Oh." Cameron didn't know what to say.

"Well I can make you and Lambie some toast. Do you like sourdough bread with some strawberry jam?

"Strawberry is my favorite!" She perked up a little and smiled, leaning her elbow on the table.

"Cool."

They ate a quiet breakfast. Both Jess and Ryan were still asleep and the house was calm and still. Cameron was glad. He refused to think about what had happened last night. Anytime he started to remember how it felt, silver lightning running through his veins and the shocked look in Ryan's eyes, he literally shook his head and pushed those thoughts away. Nope. Nope. Not going there. Nope.

Cameron pulled a chair over and let Leah help him wash the breakfast dishes. He gave her a sponge, filled the sink with bubbles and let her have at it. Soon giggles and splashing ensued, as Cameron desperately tried to keep the water from ending up everywhere. But it was a good way to kill some time, and it was fun to stand there, morning sunlight streaming through the window, elbow deep in hot water. He even took out a few clean dishes to add to the piles, since Leah was having so much fun.

Afterwards they went upstairs. Jess met them at the top of the landing.

"Hey you two! You were so loud it woke me up. I thought mornings were my responsibility."

"It's cool. I was awake. Can we switch off? Leah and I planned to spend today together.."

He whispered to his mom, behind his hand...

"But maybe you could take her after lunch so I can read or something?"

"Sure, no problem. I'll go work in the classroom 'till one or so. What about Ryan? Is he going to hang out with you again today?"

Ryan glanced over at their closed door and quickly looked away.

"Um, no. I think he's going to Nate's but I don't really know."

"Ok. You and Leah have fun."

Cameron helped Leah choose her outfit for the day. Striped leggings and a rainbow unicorn shirt. Downstairs she sat on the floor in front of him as he sat on the couch and he attempted, with some success, to brush and rebraid her hair. Jess flew downstairs and kissed them both goodbye.

"Why is Jess always going to school? Isn't it Saturday?" Leah asked, wiggling her head back and forth to feel her braids flying around. Ryan meandered downstairs at this point, his eyes bleary, still wearing his pajamas.

"She works hard." Cameron muttered, eyes glued to Leah's braids, hands rubbing his knees.

"Ryan!!! Cameron made scrambled eggs and toast, and he let me wear my unicorn shirt and we're going to the park to play! Do you want to play with us?" Leah jumped up and ran over to her tall brother. "We should all play together. It will be fun!"