Keep it PG 13

Keep it PG 13

Text Conversation

Jason: Hey

Cameron: Hi

Jason: What are you doing?

Cameron: Homework for government. What about you?

Jason: Just finished dinner.

Cameron: What did you have?

Jason: Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and some broccoli.

Cameron:   That sounds good.

Jason: It was.

Cameron: Are you going to have dessert?

Jason: .... Depends?....

Cameron: On what?

Incoming Call

Cameron answered, snuggling up to his blanket. "Hi."

"How's your homework going? Do you still have tons more to do?" Jason's voice was wistful.

"Well...not really. Why?" Cameron couldn't help but feel a tingle of excitement.

"It's what...7:30...can you go out for dessert with me? There's a really cool place in the city I'd like to show you."

Cameron sat up, frowning, looking down at the jammies he'd changed into as soon as he'd gotten home. "Uhhhh..I need to check with Mike and Coach. I'll call you back a few minutes?"

"Ok. I'll be here."

Cameron clicked the red off button and walked slowly into the living room where Mike and Coach were watching TV. He hated to interrupt them. Their lives must have changed considerably since he moved in, and he tried to give them their space as often as he could.

"Hi, sweetie!" Mike moved over and made room on the couch. "Wanna watch TV with us?" He patted the cushion next to him.

Cameron sat down and bit his lip. "Ummm.." He really had no idea what they thought about him going out with Jason. Mike seemed a little supportive but going out at night seemed more like a real date.

"Soo.....Jason just asked me to go to dessert in San Francisco. Is it ok if I go?"

Mike and Coach exchanged a quick look of surprise.

Coach said, "Cameron, it is a school night."

Cameron nodded, eyes flicking to the ground and back up. "Yeah, you're right." He wasn't sure if he wanted them to give him permission or not.

Mike squeezed Coach's knee. "John, I think it's ok." He turned to Cameron. " You need to find out where you're going and let us know. And you need to be home before midnight." His voice was serious.

"Ok. Thanks. I'm just going to change." He stood up. "What do you think I should wear?" He asked plaintively.

Coach smiled. "Just wear whatever you want."

Mike shook his head. "You need a coat! It's cold in the city, especially at night."

-------

Dressed in jeans and a new dark blue hoodie with a Gandalf logo, Cameron made his way towards the door. Jason was in the driveway waiting.

"Cameron." Coach walked towards him from the kitchen.

"Hmmm?"

The older man reached out and passed Cameron a small package. Cameron looked down at it. It was shiny and square. Was it candy?