A Bad Bad Halloween Night

A few weeks later.....

"So Cameron, you'll be working at the duck booth with Dylan, and Ryan, you'll be working with Miranda doing the ring toss."

Cameron scrunched up his nose, then forced himself to smile at Dylan who was grinning from ear to ear, waving Cameron over. The smaller boy looked over at Ryan, and shrugged. Ryan grimaced and turned to glare at Dylan. It had no effect though, as Dylan bent over to count the ducks floating in the kiddie pool, completely missing it.

"Ok Mom. Have fun. And you too, silly. Stay with Jess and don't get lost."

Leah was dressed in a rainbow shirt and rainbow leggings, with a unicorn headband. She picked out the costume herself, excited to spend her first Halloween at the annual school Fall Festival. Every year Jess's grade school threw a huge party on the playground, Halloween night. A safe place to enjoy the holiday rather than trick or treating at strangers' houses. There were lights, booths, pounding music, glow sticks, all kinds of food and raffles and contests. Everything was available for different numbers of tickets, and tickets were sold at the office, all the proceeds going to support the school of course. The teachers and their families, as well some of the families of the students, volunteered their time to run the games, or sell food and tickets. It was a huge community event, lasting from 7 to 10 pm.

It was only 6:30 now, and people were just getting organized, but the party was starting to take shape. Cameron smiled down at Leah as she turned this way and that, eyes wide and slightly fearful. It was a lot for a four year old to take in. For the first time in almost 20 years, Jess was not experiencing the festival as a volunteer, but instead as a "parent." After giving out the jobs to all the volunteers, she would take off her teacher hat, and walk Leah around for a couple of hours before heading home. She asked Cameron and Ryan to volunteer for a couple of hours as well. Cameron did it every year and he absolutely loved it. It was pretty much the only night of the year, barring choir concerts where he went out at night, hanging out with tons of people. He didn't really love it for the overwhelming crowds, but just because everyone was always so happy. And it made him feel happy too.

But right now, someone wasn't too happy.

"Mom, I'm just going to show Ryan where the bathroom is," he said, dragging Ryan away by the arm.

---------------------------

"I thought we were going to spend the evening together." Ryan complained. "I want to be with you." He pulled Cameron into his arms as he sat on the toilet.

"This is very romantic," Cameron giggled. "I'm so impressed at your choice of spots."

They looked around and snickered. The handicapped stall in the staff bathroom was not an ideal place to cuddle and have an intimate conversation.

Ryan leaned his head on Cameron's chest as the other boy snuggled closer on his lap, putting his hands on the nape of his neck.

"I guess I realize now why there are so many jokes about gay men in the bathroom. It's really the only place we can have privacy, so no one finds out." Ryan sighed. "It's actually kind of sad."

"And you thought you were Tigger in Winnie the Pooh? Knock if off, Eeyore. We're going to have fun tonight. This night is the best! After our shift, we can walk around. There's a haunted house, the kids put on a lip synch battle, we can go look at the giant pumpkin carving. Some of them are so cool. Your booth is only a few down from mine, and after a few hours we can go home. To our bedroom. Alone. Ok?"

Ryan squeezed him even tighter. "Dylan likes you."

Cameron nuzzled Ryan's hair. "That's so dumb. I don't even know him. At all."