Just for Fun Part One

Just for Fun: Part One

(This first part takes place right after college graduation. The following chapters are just made up stories each boy tells. As the title states, this is not a continuation of Roomies. It's just for fun.)

"Hey asshole, get me another marshmallow."

"So romantic, so sweet. What a delicate flower you are."

Cameron laughed under his breath. He loved listening to Nate and Diego bickering. It just underscored how hysterical their whole relationship was. He adjusted on his log, trying not to wake up Ryan who was sleeping with his head in his boyfriend's lap.

He looked up at the starry sky and drew in a deep breath through his nose, smelling the smoke of their campfire, the redwoods surrounding them, the damp earth, and the faint odor of beer. Nate had been so excited to buy the alcohol himself for their campout. He was the last of their friendship group to turn 21. This trip was Diego's birthday present for his boyfriend. They'd all driven up north to the top of California for a long weekend in the woods.

But it's not like they were getting wasted. None of them went in for that. They were uniquely boring gay people, Diego declared when Nate came back with just two six packs of beer at the small grocery store at the campground entrance.

"Everyone else would be out clubbing it up, drinking vodka, getting smashed and hooking up with strangers." Nate's boyfriend said, putting the beer in the back of Nate's hummer, alongside the ice chest, tents, sleeping bags.

"Gross." Nate said, getting situated in the driver's seat. "You know I don't drink. Or hook up with strangers. This beer purchase is basically just symbolic." He glanced in the rearview mirror at Cameron and winced. He would never forget what happened that Halloween night their senior year and never get over the shame he felt when he thought about it. Cameron winked at him, and Nate sighed. That boy was just too nice for words. Always had been.

That had been this late afternoon. Now it was close to midnight. But Cameron wasn't tired. It took them almost eight hours to drive up here, with a few stops along the way to pee and get some food. Though it was long, they took turns driving although everyone repeatedly begged Cameron to slow down as he sped his way along the twisty mountain roads. Mostly it was a fun drive, arguing over what music to listen to or talking about old times or gossiping about Miranda and Amanda, Chris and Dylan, since these couples couldn't make it this time around.

Cameron took a sip of his one can of beer, and ran his fingers through Ryan's curls. His sweet fiancée had fallen asleep after drinking a couple of cans. Not that Cameron minded. His head was heavy in Cameron's lap, with his arms wrapped around Cameron's waist, stretched out on the long fallen redwood log they sat on. It didn't stop Cameron from eating marshmallows and trying very hard not to get any in Ryan's hair by accident.

"Do you remember when I showed you how to eat marshmallows?" a voice asked near his ear.

Cameron looked up, smiling as Jason sat down on the other side of Cameron.

"Of course I remember. You taught me to blow it." Cameron smirked, waggling his eyebrows at Jason, who laughed and grabbed a stick to toast himself some sweet treats.

"Did Kyle get to sleep ok?" Cameron asked.

"Yeah, he puked his guts up in the bathroom. I got him washed up and into the tent." Jason rolled his eyes. "You guys are all lightweights. When I was 21 I could drink so much more than one beer before I got trashed."

Cameron giggled. "He's your husband. You're the one who married someone who doesn't drink."

"Whatever." Jason rolled his eyes.

Cameron was so glad Jason and Kyle could drive down from Seattle to camp with them. Ryan had been wildly jealous when he found out that Cameron and Jason had renewed their friendship, talking online, their freshman year in college. But Cameron had repeatedly reassured him, through words and actions, that he just considered Jason a friend. Cameron needed to know first hand that he had not ruined Jason's life because of their relationship. They got together a couple times a year to hang out, meeting in the Bay Area when Jason visited his aunt. Ryan had been more relieved when a year ago, Jason had introduced them to Kyle, his husband, a kind, gentle man. They met at the library. Trust Jason to marry a librarian!

What a strange fellowship they were, Cameron thought looking around the bonfire. Nate, his blonde curls hidden under a green knit cap that made his eyes even brighter. Diego was wearing shorts, a muscle shirt (despite the chilly evening) with his signature Mexican flag hat on backwards. Jason in a flannel and sheepskin lined jean jacket, a Draco look a like despite his black converse. Cameron looked down at himself. Nothing much changed. He was wearing jeans and a pale blue hoodie.

He looked back up to see his friends all staring at him. Ryan snuggled closer, nuzzling his head in Cameron's lap and tightening his arms. Even in his sleep he could sense something was amiss.

"You look scrumptious tonight, Chulo." Diego licked his lips.

Nate nodded, twining his fingers in Diego's. "You are not wrong, babe. The firelight is a good look for you, Cameron."

Cameron glanced to his left to see Jason smiling down at him. "Cameron always looks good, no matter what light."

"You guys suck." Cameron rolled his eyes. "Knock it off. Stop making fun of me.'

All three men shook their heads, wondering if Cameron would ever realize how tempting he was.

Nate clapped his hands. "I think we should all take turns telling a story. But more than a story." His eyes danced mischievously. " Let's tell a 'what if' tale. Like...i don't know...let's pretend what would have happened if Ryan never moved in with Cameron."

Everyone laughed and nodded, thanks to a few beers under their belts. Cameron shook his head in dismay. "Oh my god. You can't be serious."

Nate just smiled wickedly.

"I'll go first."

---------------

A/N: Hahahahahhahahhahahahahaha!!!! I think this is going to be super fun.