Chapter 15: Can we do it...Not Cliche?

Skylar's P.O.V:

I often wondered was I supposed to be grateful? grateful that instead of being dead, or tortured for life here I was, an assassin playing pretend.

I had gotten James to testify, he was sure to be in prison now, no escape like others including me would have, because being a part of a case keeps him in the spotlight.

Assassin 101: maintain a low profile.

Yeah, I was pretty much violating that code too.

I heard someone knock and looked up to see Lucien.

"Hey" I said leaning back in my chair like he did when I came in, which as soon as I realised I sat up straight.

"Get your coat" He instructed and I raised my eyebrows, amused.

"And on what grounds are you ordering me?"

"On the grounds that I am your legal guardian" He answered back.

"I can get you stripped of that"

"You'll have to admit you committed perjury"

"I'll get out...nevermind, why do I need my coat"

Fuck, I almost exposed myself...

"You'll see"

"Don't be so vague!"

"Meet me in my car, in 5"

"On what"--

"Do want to know where and why I am taking you?"

"Yes, but curiosity killed the cat"

"Fortunately you aren't a cat then" With that he walked out and I sighed looking at my files...well, an early day doesn't seem so bad.

Yes, I was aware that it was 10 pm, but I usually worked later, I had too.

~o~O~o~

"A park?" I asked surprised as Lucien stood beside me.

"A park" He confirmed nodding and I looked around.

"It's the park." I said and once again he nodded looking down at me, both our hands in our pockets.

"You bought it, didn't you?" I asked sitting on the swing and he nodded leaning on the side of the bars holding it.

"Look I should've...we should have had this conversation a while ago" He started slowly kneeling so he was eye-level with me.

"Can we do it...not cliche?" I asked and he looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Not discuss it, let's be different"

"We can be different with other things, how about we settle this, yeah?"

"Settle?"

"Yes, I have no idea what to call it"

"An apology is a term you're looking for and I don't need it" I stood up but he pushed me back gently.

"You may not need it, but you deserve it, Sky...I am so sorry"

"Yeah got it, fine, cool"

"Let me finish" He instructed yet again and this time I didn't object.

"I was...There are times my brain fries up. It's no excuse I know; I own my behaviour. I try to help, try to be good, and then a trigger is flicked. My emotions turn - cold, fearful, anxious... I back away, flee or strike out at someone who loves me. In these moments I am least proud of who I am"---