The Ambush II

"They've gone? What do you mean they've gone?"

"Dad, what's wrong?" asked Vaughan.

Sherlock shushed him, more aggressively than he had meant to, and took a step away.

"I mean I took my eyes off them for a second and they've disappeared. Sherlock I don't-" Her voice broke, fanning a flame of panic in his chest that, until now, had only been a flicker.

The children were always up to no good; running off, hatching plans to sneak into places they weren't supposed to, disappearing out of sight only to jump out with a loud, excited 'boo' moments later. But he had never heard Margaux genuinely scared like this before.

"Where did you last see them?"

"The library down the road from where we left you. They were in the kids section and I took my eyes off them for a second to talk to the woman on the desk."

"Have you looked-"

"I've looked everywhere, Sherlock, theyre not there. Like really not here this time. I think I need to call the police."

He gave a habitual groan, like he always did whenever the police were mentioned.

"Sherlock, they're our children."

"Yes, you're right." He shook his head, disappointed in himself. "Call them, we're on our way."

"Dad..." Vaughan said again, softer this time, a sprig of worry in his tone.

Sherlock's jaw tensed. He walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze before grabbing his coat and turning to Darien.

"Mr Black, we have to go. I'm sure you have everything you need from me."

"Y-yes," he replied feebly, every last drop of playfulness gone from his voice. "I'll get right to it."

The call had sent a ripple of fear through the room, even Darien, who did not know them before today, biting his nails to ease his concern.

"I trust you'll contact me as soon as the disguise is ready."

"I will, Mr Holmes." He stopped, as if he were going to say more but changed his mind.

Instead, he watched from the other side of the room as Sherlock led his son to the door, disappearing down the staircase without another word.

*

Margaux was hyperventilating, rocking gently back and forth as she sat on a chair behind the librarian's desk. The once quiet and serene building was now bustling with police officers and concerned onlookers - her safe place gone, torn from her memory and replaced with one of her worst fears. She wasn't sure if she would ever be able to set foot in a library again.

Milo could sense his mother's upset as he sat on her lap. She was clutching him tight, like she were scared he would vanish too if she let go.

He reached up and placed a small hand on the side of her face. "Is okay mamma."

She looked down at him and swallowed back the urge to cry, attempting to smile with trembling lips. "Oh, baby, I know. I know it'll all be okay."