Night In

For G99_bazinga

AN: Thanks to the people who gave me name suggestions for baby Holmes! I loved them all so much and they definitely gave me some much-needed inspiration.

*

"How do I look?" asked John, holding his arms out and turning around slowly.

Rosie was sitting on the couch, laughing as she watched her father twirl in the middle of the living room. "You look nice."

"Thanks, love." He kissed her on the side of the head. "Have you decided what you're taking with you to auntie Molly's?"

She nodded and pointed to her backpack leaning against the leg of the coffee table.

"Organised. I like it," he replied.

There was a knock at the door.

John looked down at his watch. "She's early. What do I do?"

Rosie rolled her eyes and stood up. She made her way to the door and peered through the letter box. "No way," she giggled.

"What? What is it?"

She stretched up on her tip toes and undid the latch, stepping aside as a sea of dark hair and blue eyes flooded through the door. She looked up to her father and grinned. His face, however, did not look so amused.

"Sherlock?" said John. "What's the matter? What're you doing here?"

"I was rather hoping you'd be willing to babysit," he replied.

John stared at him in disbelief as he stood calmly, holding his youngest son in his arms while the other children dispersed into the house.

"Babysitting is something you arrange in advance, Sherlock. You don't just turn up on people's doorsteps. What if they have plans?"

"Do you have plans?"

"Actually, I-"

Sherlock hooked the large, heavy overnight bag on John's shoulder and handed him the baby. "I really must go. Sadie tends to get upset if she sees me leaving, then that sets Arden off because you know... twins and all that."

"Sherlock!"

He pinched his son's cheek and disappeared through the front door, like smoke escaping through an open window.

"I..." John stood for a moment in shock, before turning and laying eyes on the chaos around him.

He put down the heavy bag and walked over to the couch where Rosie and Vaughan sat talking excitedly. He sat the baby down between them, pulled out his phone and disappeared into another room.

"Molly, hi," he said, covering his other ear to drown out the noise. "You don't fancy watching an extra five kids tonight, do you?" He rubbed his forehead as he listened to her anxious reply. "Nope, no. Didn't think so," he sighed.

*

Margaux stepped through the front door, her brows immediately falling heavy over her eyes with suspicion. She unwrapped her scarf and hung it up, glancing up the stairs and making extra noise taking off her shoes, but still, no one came running.