Additions • One

For BlackbirdHolmes
Author's Note: I got carried away and this oneshot ended up huge. So once again I've split it into two parts. Hope you guys don't mind!

Part One

The living room glowed in a warm, dim lamplight. The curtains were drawn, the volume on the television was low and a candle crackled on the coffee table. Sherlock sat on the couch, trying to follow the sitcom on television. He didn't laugh once, not even when the recorded audience laughter played, struggling to understand why anyone would find it funny.

Margaux walked into the room, closing the door slightly behind her. She breathed an exaggerated sigh of relief and smiled as she made her way over to the couch.

"They're both asleep, I'm a magician," she said.

He put his arm around her, keeping one sceptical eye on the television. "I give it an hour before Flora's up again."

Flora was six months old; tiny, adorable, and still refusing to sleep through the night. Sherlock and Margaux had grown accustomed to the constant state of exhaustion, taking it in their stride and relishing in every small moment of peace. It was a rare occasion for both children to be fast asleep at the same time, especially while the evening was young.

Sherlock pulled her closer and leaned in to kiss her. She smiled beneath his lips and returned the kiss, placing a hand on his face.

"Mm, what was that for?" she asked as they pulled away.

He shrugged. "Taking advantage of the time alone."

She kissed him again, tangling her fingers in his hair. He responded eagerly, his hand trailing from her thigh to her hip and eventually running up beneath her top.

"Ow." She broke the kiss.

"What did I do?"

"Oh, no it's nothing you did, don't worry. My boobs are a bit tender."

He raised an eyebrow.

She shook her head. "They're probably just sore from breastfeeding. It happens sometimes."

His expression remained the same.

She laughed. "Stop that. It's nothing, really. Just... come here."

She took his face in her hands and kissed him again. She lay back on the couch and pulled him on top of her, feeling his apprehension melt away with every touch.

*

"You're pregnant."

The words bounced around her head like a pinball, never quite settling, never quieting down.

"Are you sure?" she asked feebly.

"Certain," the doctor replied.

Flora began trying to wriggle out of her mother's arms. Margaux turned her around and sat her on her lap, wrapping one arm around her and placing her elbow on the edge of the doctor's desk as she rubbed her mouth with her hand.