Common Room

Requested on AO3:

'I love the idea of Margaux and Sherlock at uni... Maybe a science report partners situation?'

*

Students packed the lecture hall, some taking notes, some dozing off behind their books. Paul, the tutor, stood at the front of the room as the glow from the overhead projector reflected off his glasses. it was a cool November afternoon, and even in the windowless hall, there was a chill in the air.

"Right so let's talk about this assignment," said Paul.

There was a collective groan.

He bowed his head and glared over his glasses at his students. "If you're not already working on it, then I implore you to get your arses in gear and start. Deadline is next month."

There was another groan, followed by quiet mutterings.

"Come on, guys. I know presentations aren't nice, but it's a pairs assignment which does make it easier. Show of hands, has everyone chosen their partners?"

There was a scattering of raised arms.

"Okay, anyone who doesn't have their hands raised, you need to have it sorted before the end of this session. So, look around, choose your partner and make sure you let me know so I can schedule your assessment dates."

The students began to shuffle around, talking quietly amongst themselves. Paul stepped out of the glare of the projector and looked across the rows of seats.

"Mr Holmes," he said, gesturing to the boy at the back. "That means you too."

"I don't do partners," he replied.

"It's the assignment."

"The assignment has been designed to test one's ability to delegate workload and collaborate in research. I do not possess, nor desire either of those qualities and I don't intend to enter into a vocation which requires me to do so. The presentation is worth 20 credits - I could refuse to do it and still pass this module. So you either allow me to do the assignment alone or I would like to forfeit the grade now."

Heads turned towards the young man as he sat alone at the back. Sherlock Holmes. The loner. The 'weirdo'. He was tall and svelte, with dark curly hair that fell messily into his pale blue eyes. His face was sharp and angular, his voice deep and rich with a vocabulary beyond his twenty years of life. He knew people were looking at him, but he didn't care. Instead he remained seated, leant back in his chair as he waited for his tutor to speak.

Paul rolled his eyes and let out a huff. "Fine, you can work alone." He checked his watch. "Okay, that's it, you're all free to go. If you can write down your pairs on your way out, I'll sort out your assessment dates."

Students weaved through the rows of desks, gathering in clusters at Paul's desk to write their names before spilling out the door. Paul sat down and pointed a small remote towards the back of the room, switching off the projector. He picked up the list and began reading over it when someone cleared their throat beside him. He looked up to see one of his students standing awkwardly with her bag over her shoulder.

"Miss Cave, everything okay?" he asked.

"Erm, yeah, could have a word about this presentation?"