Part 38

"Who wants to start?" Ben asked as he sat down on the large sofa. He leaned back, putting his hands behind his head as he waited. 

"What are you doing here, Ben?" Vera asked, "haven't you ever heard of calling?"

"What good does it do when your sister refuses to answer the phone?" Ben replied, glancing over at Edwin who was still awkwardly standing by the door with his coat in hand. 

"I'm busy." Vera said. "This is definitely not the best time..."

"It's never going to be. Lucky I got here when I did, to catch you both." Ben said, "I was thinking you'd invite me over for dinner."

"You thought to invite yourself." Vera said, rolling her eyes. "But sure, I was going to order in."

"Great. Chinese?" Ben asked.

"Vera doesn't like Chinese." Edwin said, putting his coat back down and realizing he was going to be stuck there for a while.

"Since when?" Ben asked, "It was her favorite."

"WAS." Vera said, walking towards her phone. "Pizza it is."

"I like pizza." Ben replied, turning to Edwin. "Well, it doesn't look like she is going to explain so I'll leave it to you."

Vera opened her mouth to speak but Ben shook his head. 

"Before you ask, I heard everything." Ben said, standing and walking over to the refrigerator. "You have any beer? Ah... there we go."

Vera turned to Edwin who was already pinching the bridge of his nose with two fingers.  The first time they fought and Ben had to be around.

"How did you even get into the building?" Vera asked, handing him the bottle opener. 

"That is not going to answer my question." Ben said, taking a swig and placing two more bottles on the counter. "Come on, I suspect we all need a drink for this one."

"You might as well tell him." Edwin said, grabbing a beer and opening it.

"Edwin!" Vera said, turning to him angrily. "Just shut up."

"No, Vera. Dear, that's very rude." Ben said, "Edwin is right. Just tell me."

"What do you want to hear, Ben?" Vera asked. 

"Listen, I know I play dumb often but as much as Romy likes to say so, I'm not a complete idiot." Ben said, "So... if this isn't home, where is it?"

"Obviously home is..." Vera began to say but Edwin interrupted her. 

"I live in a building just a couple of blocks down." Edwin said.

"Oh my god..." Vera said in disbelief as she put her hands to her temples. "This isn't happening."

"Why?" Ben asked but he wasn't expecting a response. He watched them quietly. Edward stuck his hands into his pockets while looking away and Vera sat in silence, pretending to be focused on a spot on the counter. 

"Okay, so... let's narrow it down. You two don't live together, the marriage is for show. Why get married?" Ben asked, trying to make sense of it. 

"We just thought it was the most convenient thing." Vera said. "We're business partners and getting credit..."

"Credit? Why... did you take out a loan?" Ben asked and Vera went white.

"He wouldn't let me fund it." Vera finally said between gritted teeth. 

"Oh so now this is my fault?" Edwin asked. 

"No, Edwin. Of course not." Vera said, feeling guilty. She shouldn't be snapping at him all the time. "It's my fault."