Part 22

"Think about it? What is there to think about?" Edwin asked as if it were a stupid thing to say. Indeed, it seemed it was but Tom couldn't help himself. That was all he had been able to promise Vera- that he would think about it. 

"Edwin, I can't just take her money." Tom said, staring at his phone as it suddenly began to ring. They both stared at it for several moments, the same familiar number flashing on the screen. Tom had been avoiding the call for the days, unsure still of what he would do. 

"I don't understand you. Here you are, things pretty much out in the open now. The woman you have finally admitted you love knows you're in trouble and she is more than willing to help you- why are you being so fucking stubborn?" Edwin said. "Tom, this is everything. She can save your life, she can save the business and she's doing it knowingly, not by trick or deception."

"She wants to buy the business... you do realize the business is pretty much non existent except for the stupid name? It's not worth a tenth of what they're asking. I wouldn't be able to pay her back for a long time." Tom said, shaking his head. "How can I let that hang between us?"

"I don't think she's expecting to buy a lucrative business. She's not a stupid woman, you've told her how bad it is. I don't know her but I don't think she's going to mind if it takes you years to pay her back." Edwin replied. 

"So then she's doing me a favor? Like one of her charities..." Tom began but Edwin lost his temper. 

"How can you be so fucking stupid?" Edwin said, raising his voice and making Tom stare in surprise. "If this was the other way around, if she was in trouble, this wouldn't be a problem. You're thinking like some misogynistic moron instead of using the brain I know you have. You're not taking advantage of her.  So the princess rescues the prince, is that so bad?"

Tom didn't speak, instead he considered the words carefully. 

"Take the money, Tom. Take her help. Let her save you. The alternative is pretty grim." Edwin said. "Pay this fucking debt, save yourself and get her out of this horrible position. You accept her help, you get these creeps off her back too. Then you dedicate yourself to fixing the business. It's a challenge, I'll agree but we'll be there to help you. In a few years, this will all be a bad dream."

"I don't know." Tom said, shaking his head. 

"Is it really that bad? Just let her save you. Save her by letting her save you. Tom, you can be with her. Do you realize that? She knows you're in trouble and she's not going leave you." Edwin said. 

"She doesn't know how all this started." Tom said, staring at him directly. Edwin sighed and ran a hand through his hair. 

"Does she need to know that? Listen, it sounds bad but who would it help? Besides, you changed your mind about that almost as soon as you decided it. We both know that you never would have done it. She doesn't need to know that you considered for a split second... she doesn't need to know. There's no point in hurting her when that's not the reality anymore. You love her, she loves you. Give yourself a chance to be happy." Edwin said, trying to get Tom to see sense. 

"If she ever found out..." Tom began but Edwin shook his head. 

"The only people who know that you were stupid for a few days are you and me. I won't say anything, you won't. That's it. Case closed, you don't have to feel guilty about something you thought when you were scared for your life." Edwin said. "You said she'll be here in a few hours."

"Yeah, she wants to pick up some papers. She's even willing to do that- prepare the documents for the sale." Tom said, "She says she'll wire me the money as soon as I say, that the documents don't have to be rushed but I would rather get it done."