Chapter 47

Ryders POV:

The pure relief I felt after eating the nightshade berries was indescribable. After being gassed by wolfsbane at the party in a pretty heavy dose and then trapped in that room, only breathing in more of it and adding to the agony, I had never been more grateful to be home.

Being trapped in that place was one of the most terrifying experiences in my life. I wasn't used to being that weak, that helpless. But right now, staring down at Ella as she curled herself into a ball, attempting to shrink away from everyone's watchful eyes, I felt even more helpless and scared.

Beside Ella, Zach lay on his back, his chest completely still and his skin pale and ashen. We had managed to get him cleaned up so there was no longer blood staining every inch of his skin, and Ella insisted we put his body on their bed.

Tears pricked my eyes as she nuzzled up against him, whispering pleads to him as she cradled his hand in hers. I couldn't believe this had happened. We were so close to making our escape. So close to all getting home safely.

I turned to see the other two Thorn brothers. Chris leant against the far wall, his eyes closed and his fists clenched, clearly dealing with the news in his own way. Liam, however, was at Ellas side, his eyes red and puffy from his own tears, ones I imagine he must have cried when we separated from them in the woods. I hadn't seen him shed a single tear in Ellas presence.

"Wake up," I heard Ella beg, her voice croaky and weak. I wanted nothing more than to trade places with Zach right then and there. El had dealt with more than enough loss in her life and I hadn't seen her as happy as she was with Zach. She needed him. And now he was gone.

"Wake up!" She yelled, burying her face in his neck.

I couldn't help but turn my nose up at the sight. It was clear from the sight of him that he was dead. It had only been a few hours but his complexion wasn't his usual light tan, it was paper white and his closed eyes were dark and hollow.

"Ella," Liam whispered from behind her, squeezing her shoulder comfortingly. Nobody knew what to say to her, nobody could take away the pain she was feeling.

"He has to wake up," she whimpered, keeping her face pressed against him. "He has to."

I moved to sit beside Liam, patting him softly on the back as I did. "I'm sorry Ella," I told her, watching her shoulders shake from her cries.

"He promised he would never leave me!" She exclaimed, barely managing to get her words out before she started to wail and screech from the pain, her breaths strained and ragged.

"Ella." It was all I could say.

She interrupted me with a loud sob before falling into a steady rhythm of heavy cries, her tears soaking Zach's shirt and the pillows beneath them.

I watched as Liam stared down at his younger brother, pain and emotion clouding his gaze. "Why don't you guys go home?" I suggested, sending them a sympathetic look. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I lost Tyler. "I'll stay with her," I said softly.

Chris snapped his eyes open, fixing them on Ella for a while before moving them to me. He nodded once before storming from the room, his heavy footsteps echoing through the house.

I turned back to Liam who hadn't so much as blinked. "Seriously Liam, you should go. Get some food and some sleep," I instructed, resting my hand on his shoulder.

He stayed silent as tears filled his eyes. I silently pulled him into a hug, allowing him to cry in silence while Ellas loud cries filled the room. Her back was still to us so she had no idea that Liam was currently breaking down on my shoulder- which was a good thing since I was certain it would only upset her more.