9. Broken

The road spread out ahead of us like a tarmac ribbon, twisting and bending with the hills and bumps of the landscape. For the most part, there was nothing in sight. Only occasionally was there a cracked house to interrupt the scenery before the green wasteland continued. Without any traffic, the sounds of fresh nature came clear through the open window. The world had no more order. We were without the social structures we'd complained so much about.

It wasn't long before Em pulled the truck into a small service station off the motorway. I'd almost expected more from the first sign of civilisation we'd seen. The falling green signs that were posted on the entrance spoke of a petrol station and a drive-thru McDonalds but neither of them looked like they would've been in the best state, even before the outbreak.

She pulled across several parking spaces outside the building and the engine rumbled to a stop as she twisted the key beside her leg. A silence fell within the car, neither of us moving or speaking. Maybe it was from exhaustion, or an overload of adrenaline, or the realisation that we were still alive when everything was against us.

In a moment, she pressed her lips against mine. Both our chests still heaved from the chase and her breaths were heavy with mine. My body seemed to loosen, all worries melting as our lips fit together like puzzle pieces. The world fell away and it was just the two of us like it always should've been. I rested my hand against her jaw, pulling her closer. Her fingers ran through my hair, twisting and holding until there was no space between the two of us. Her skin was soft beneath my fingertips as our lips moved together, wanting more but still not getting enough. She smiled as she pulled away for a breath and rested her forehead against mine. When she blinked, the sparkle in her eyes was momentarily covered by the shield of her lashes, naturally long and delicate, captivating with every turn of her head.

"I think it's safe outside," she whispered.

"I think we should stay here..."

She nudged my shoulder playfully and her smile grew as she exhaled a laugh. Her hair shifted in front of her face and she opened the door with a click. Instinctively, I noticed her hand hover the back waistband of her jeans, ensuring the gun was where it should be.

It had begun to rain and it was refreshing against my hot skin. The bodywork of the truck was a beehive of bullet holes, irregular and clustered like a dot-to-dot with no picture. There was a large dent that had pushed its way into the bumper, re-moulding its shape.

"I mean, technically it's still in one piece," Em grimaced.

"Will is never going to let me drive again," I laughed. "I'm about to be blacklisted like Chris... But at least we're still alive." I swung a nailed baseball bat over my shoulder, resting it behind my neck as I took a look around. "I'm going to check out that shop," I said, pointing in the direction of the building. "You should stay and watch the truck. Give me a shout if you see anything."

She nodded and pulled an axe from the back footwell, gripping it with both hands. "Don't be too long."

A bell rang above my head as I pushed on the cracked glass of the door. It was silent inside and I was hopeful for an empty building. Making my way down the aisle, I grabbed a packet of untouched Strawberry Laces and shoved them into my pocket, Em's favourite. A layer of water covered the floor of the shop from the most recent rainfall and I tried to walk as quietly as I could to the back as it splashed around my feet.

Before I could push open the door to the office there was a scream from outside the building, piercing, and blood-curdling in its tone. My head snapped towards the truck, to the source of the noise. Em's form was a cracked image through the glass that separated us and I forced my legs to obey where they tried to resist. I couldn't shut down. Not now. 

Her axe sat proud in the head of the Infected that lay beside her, spilling dark blood across the tarmac and tainting the fresh puddles. The trademark white stare was still there but there was no real life, not anymore.

She seemed almost proud as she looked down at the body on the floor. "See, I can handle myself."

My breath hitched and there were no words I could say as I shifted my attention from the Infected to the fresh blood that streaked down her arm. With a shaky hand, I pointed to the red liquid that stained her skin.

"Em..."

"It was just the axe," she shook her head, wiping a hand against the wound. She winced as her fingers grazed the open flesh. As the blood cleared, it was a set of teeth marks that were embedded into her skin.

"No," she refused, wiping again. "It was the axe... It's just a cut."

"Em..."

"It was the axe!" she shouted as if saying it louder would make it true.

I found my voice. "It wasn't the axe," I whispered.

Her fingers gripped the bite and her legs collapsed, dropping her body to the floor as the disbelief began to fade and reality set in. I crumbled beside her and my hands seemed unable to remain still. The aching was deep in my chest but I buried it as I pulled off my sweatshirt and tightened it around her arm. Her eyes were blank and distant as she grabbed at the fabric.

"It'll be fine, won't it?

I couldn't bring myself to nod my head, tightening my grip around her arm. "I'm sorry... Something like this was going to happen eventually. I should've seen it coming..."

The fear clung to my throat and stung at my eyes. Everything I knew had broken within a matter of seconds.