43. Past, Present, and Future

The gates were no longer standing as we drew closer to EDIN.

Chaos had descended and the sheer scale of it became clearer the further we drove. Other black trucks drove freely around the compound, throwing objects from the windows and firing guns at those who tried to flee.

They bumped across the uneven ground of the road but the people inside seemed more excited than fearful of the Infected they dodged. I didn't recognise any of the occupants and I knew the trucks didn't belong to anyone at EDIN.

It was through the commotion that for the first time I knew where I wanted to be, where I needed to be. Chris was right, I needed to let Ben speak, to hear what he had to say.

Pilot hurtled the truck across the green as bodies ran in every direction, not seeming to have any collective destination for their escape.

"Where would Ben be?" I asked Chris as Pilot pulled the truck to a stop at the back of the compound.

Pilot twisted his body around. "You're not going in there."

"Why else do you think we came back?" I argued. "Ben's probably still in there."

"You realise they're going to be looking for people like you?" he countered. "I can't let you do that."

Pilot's hand moved to lock the doors but my reactions were quicker. I pushed on the door and it swung open, letting the gunshots and smell of smoke overwhelm my senses.

"Em!" Chris called as they both darted from the truck after me.

"You're not going after her!" I heard Pilot shout as he ran. 

Chris' voice was close as he gained on me. "I don't have another choice!"

"Yes, you do!"

The roar of fire caught me by surprise and I ducked. I glanced over my shoulder where the truck we'd abandoned sat engulfed in flames. The heat tickled my back and I ducked from the debris that scattered down around us.

People sprinted towards me as I hurried into the building. I was barged and pushed as they tried to escape and I fought against them in the opposite direction.

"Em! Wait!" Chris called as he wrestled against the growing mass.

I was smaller than he was and could squeeze my way into the gaps he couldn't. His shouts faded into the blur of noise as I pushed forward and when I looked behind, he had disappeared completely.

The further I ran from the doors, the more deserted the hallways became. My destination had intended to be my room. I thought maybe Ben would be looking for me too but with nobody around, I began to feel a sinking feeling once again. The lights flickered above from the explosions that continued to rattle the building and I flinched at each one.

An overwhelming sense of fear washed over me when I reached my room. Both the space which I had once lived and the corridor outside sat empty. I pressed a hand against the door to open it when a body slammed into mine.

"Shit," a man mumbled as he steadied himself against my arm.

He was sweating and his eyes were wide like something had been chasing him. I readjusted myself against his weight and pushed my hair back from my face. The man's frantic stare caught mine and my stomach dropped at the same time as his mouth.

"Oh shit," he said. His eyes widened and his hand gripped around my arm tighter. "You're the thing they created."

I pulled backward. "Let go of me."

His fingers clenched around my skin, pinching flesh. "Who let you out of there?"

"Ow," I winced.