Chapter 3

"Bye, Grandpa!" Zaid kissed dad's cheek and ran up to me. "Jannat, remember you have to come early today with Zain" I nodded my head and waved bye.

Zain got into the car and put his seatbelt on, while I did the same. "Mommy, why do we need to come home early?" "I promised your grandpa that I'll take you to the amusement park today"

His face lighted up, he had the biggest smile on his face. "Mommy, your the best" I chuckled at his cute behavior and stopped the car. "Be a good boy and don't get into a fight" I said while fixing his cap.

"Now give me a kiss and go" He pecked my cheek and while I did the same. I waited until he was inside and went back to my car and got in.

AT WORK
I parked my car and took my things. I walked in and greeted the head nurse. I walked to the elevator and pressed the button and waited for it. "Jannat!" I looked to my right and saw Alex walking towards me while putting his coat on.

"You look tired," I said while looking at him. He sighed and put his hair back, "Don't even say anything, Sanjana held me awake till 4 in the morning" He said and yawned.

"Let me guess, a movie?" I said while chuckling. He nodded his head and we both got into the elevator, I pressed on the 5th floor where our offices are.

"She may be annoying and has an attitude, but I know you love her" He smiled and nodded his head. "She is something special" I started laughing and shook my head.

"You two are deeply in love" We both got out and started walking to our offices. "I'll be off from work early today" He looked at me confused. "Zain," I said and he nodded understanding.

****

"Julien, please send the next patient in," I said while looking at the computer screen. I heard the door open and there walked a girl and an older-looking woman in.

They had expensive clothes on and purses. If you look at them then you would definitely think that they are rich. "Please take a seat," I said while smiling and pointed at the chairs in front of me.

"How can I help you?" "My mom hasn't been feeling well these days" I looked at the older woman and stood up. I checked her heartbeat and then wrote it down.

I walked back to my seat and sat down, "I'll ask some questions, you need to answer them honestly" Her mother nodded and started asking.

"Are feeling pain anywhere? Shoulder? Arms? Back?" "I actually feel a lot of pain on my right lower back"

"Do you feel tiredness? Or lazy?" She nodded her head while I kept writing her answers. "Doctor, she doesn't eat a lot these days, it's like she lost her appetite to eat and she had a fever 3 days ago, she also lost weight" I nodded and wrote it down.

I was starting to get worried now, "Mam, can I ask your age?" "I turned 54 last week" I nodded and wrote it down. I sighed and opened the drawer.

"I have a toilet right there, I need you to pee in this cup and then give it to me" She nodded and stood. When the mother walked into the bathroom the daughter looked at me.

"Doctor, is everything alright?" "After all your answers and after knowing everything, it may be kidney cancer" The daughter was shocked. She put her hand on her mouth and started tearing up.

The mother came back and handed me the cup. "You need to come tomorrow for some checkup, and tomorrow I'll tell you everything" The daughter nodded and they both stood up.

"Wait a minute, before you leave" I opened the drawer and handed the daughter some pills. "Give these to your mother one time in the morning and before sleeping, and please give her something healthy to eat, like vegetables and soup such things" She smiled while nodding.

"Your name?" "Maria and thank you, Doctor" "See you tomorrow" She nodded and they left. I sighed and drank water from my bottle.

"Wow, Jannat, you look....." I tiredly looked at Alex and put my head on the table. "Awful" "Alex, not now" I almost whispered and closed my eyes. I heard the chair in front of me move, I looked up and saw him seating in front of me while drinking his juice.

He started laughing, okay this boy really wants to die. I stood up and grabbed him by his ear, "Why are you irritating me?" I almost yelled.

"A-Ah, Jannat it hurts, please stop! I won't do it again!" I let his ear go and sat back on my chair. "What happened to you? Is it some patients again?" "She is only 45 and she has all the signs for kidney cancer"

He sighed and nodded his head, "Now don't be sad, smile a little" "What time is it?" "2 pm" I stood up and looked at him shocked. "I need to leave now, bye" I ran to my office and got my things.

I quickly got in my car and drove to Zain's school. I stopped the car and saw him waiting there with his small arms crossed over his chest. "Zain, baby" He looked at me and then looked away.

"Sorry baby, mommy didn't notice the time," I said while bending down to his height. "I'll buy you ice cream at the amusement park" "Promise?" "Promise"

I helped him into the car and then started driving home. We both went in and he ran up to our room, "Now now, Jannat, why are you late?" I looked at my dad nervously. "Well, I didn't notice the time"

He shook his head while smiling. "Go get ready, your brother is already waiting" I chuckled and ran upstairs. I helped my Zain first and then changed.

Zain's outfit:

Jannat's outfit:

Jannat's outfit:

"Wow champ you look handsome like your uncle," Usman said while picking him up in his arms

"Wow champ you look handsome like your uncle," Usman said while picking him up in his arms. I shook my head and walked towards mom's room.

"Ammi, are you ready?" She opened the door and looked at me with hate. "Don't pretend that you care about me" She said before leaving me behind.

Tears rolled down my eyes but I quickly wiped them away and put a smile on my lips. We all got into the cars and started driving to the amusement park.

We bought tickets, Zain and Usman started running around trying everything. After 2 hours they both finally started relaxing. "Let's eat dinner," Dad said while standing up.

We all ate dinner and then started heading towards our cars. "Usman, can you take Zain along with you? I need to stop at the hospital before going home" He nodded.

I looked to my side "Zain-" I looked at my other side and didn't see him there either.

"Usman where is Zain?"