Chapter 16: Finally okay

(This chapter will be one of two alternative endings, I think the reason I've been so slow on updating is because I'm afraid of letting you down with a certain ending so I'm really sorry if it couldn't meet your expectations)

Shuichi's P.O.V

Jolting awake with uneven breathing, my eyes darted across room.

Aside from having passed out on the bathroom floor everything... seemed normal almost?

Was the encounter with the mysterious being just a figment of my imagination? It was too hard to tell the fiction aside from reality at this point.

Glancing at the time, it displeased me showing a time that was hours past the arranged event.
All I could do was let out a shaky sigh of disappointment mainly towards myself.

It was then that it struck me almost instantly - I need to apologise to Kaede!

I'm not sure what explanation/apology could soften the blow of letting her down from the big event she had planned and had gotten so hyped up about... yet an attempt was certainly necessary.

Without giving it a second thought, I leaped up off of the floor and raced out of my room.

"-SHUICHI WATCH OUT"

Since I wasn't paying attention I was now met with a gentle thud, it appeared that I collided into Kaito and we were now strewn on the floor.

"Hey! Just the guy I was looking for!"

Even after being shoved to the ground he kept his composure and spoke to me with the utmost positivity

Although it faltered pretty quickly.

"Where were you?"

"I- uhm..." struggling to spit out any words I still continued onwards "I'm not sure what happened... I was so prepared but the next thing I knew was that I passed out I guess? And woke up on the bathroom floor"

Kaito ruffled his purple hair in distress or perhaps thought.

"Are you... sick or something?"

Waving my hands I quickly had to dismiss that idea "no, no, that's not it. I'm not entirely sure on any details but I think I'm okay aside from some strange... dreams?"

He nodded.
"That's- strange. I think you need to go clear some things up with the piano lady you've been fawning over though. She seemed pretty hurt that you out of all people didn't show up today"

It was unlike Kaito to wear a frown upon his face but he did genuinely care for other people so it was plausible.

That's probably why the guilt seeped in.

"I'm going to go see her. Things can stop getting in my way because I need to do this" I responded with a fire filled determination.

Maybe there was some villainous person who had kept bothering me, maybe there wasn't.

All I was aware of was that I was fine and safe now and the person that mattered the most was currently left in the dark and saddened by the vacant seat from her performance.

Before beginning the race to the piano room Kaito called out

"Good luck side-kick"

We exchanged one last set of beaming smiles before my legs carried me too far away and to my end goal.

Not even bothering to knock I barged in

Kaede was just sat there, gathering stray sheets of paper but upon my arrival she let magenta orbs stare wide eyed upwards.

"-h-huh? What are-"

"No." I cut her off. "I need to do this before something goes wrong again"

She tilted her head, in confusion but with complete engagement to the words I would spill out for her.

"I-I'm really sorry I didn't get to make it today... I- blacked out or something like that. It makes more sense than someone breaking in and causing that but-"

A melodious laughter overpowered my words and she spoke up "for acting all serious you seem to be rambling"

There was a fond smile given before she progressed further
"Don't worry about today I'm just- really glad that you're alright... and that you're here now"

Blushing, I took careful steps towards her.

"Kaede you mean a lot to me. I really mean that...
I wish that I had been more upfront about some things sooner but that's why I'm doing it now.

Kaede- can I... uhm..."

Understanding one another perfectly she nodded with a few tears, leaning in. Leaning in until gentle lips collided - a treasure that had been desired for a while.

We each took a step back and smiled with warm hearts and kind expressions.

"I know the situation isn't ideal... but I want to be able to help you anytime you need it. To stand by your side"

"I want to be able to do the same for you, as long as you're awkward self gets to be happy" the blonde girl chuckled sweetly and in a teasing manner.

After discussing almost everything and nothing for a while it had been decided that Kaede was going to perform a loving song on the piano. Here right now. Personally for us. A song that would stand for today and these joyous moments.

The peaceful notes encased me and must have lulled me towards sleep since the world began to fade around me leaving me left with nothing but comfort.

Things were finally okay.

-
-
-
(So here's the first ending! I'm really happy that people are here and it's been so fun reading people's comments. Thank you for the support on this story

I'll be posting the last update pretty soon... I know this isn't the most perfect story ever and I think I could fix it a lot but it was nice to write regardless.

Again thank you! If you'd consider it you could follow @Kiwiii_Tree on Twitter if you'd like to be mutuals- I mainly use it for the MCYT community but I like anime too)