Chapter 47

Pov: Chu Scarlett

As Lily slipped out of my fingers, I checked around the van to find that Changbin was still having trouble unbuckling his seatbelt.

The vehicle was already by the end of the road, heading towards a steeper cliff. I couldn't even tell where we'd be heading if I didn't move fast enough. I had to save him before it was too late.

All kinds of objects slammed into me as I raced against gravity to get to him. I felt a sharp pang on my left hip as a huge bag fell on top of me.

Pushing the weight off, I crawled on the ground, dodging all the objects that were blocking my way.

My body forcefully slammed onto the backseat, finding stability by holding the headrest. All it took was a jump and I found myself latching on to Changbin's seatbelt, struggling to unfasten it.

The damn metal wouldn't click open and the van decided to take a ride down the slope, pushing us down a second incline.

I hugged Changbin with all my might, trying to block all the objects falling on him with my body. Thankfully, they were mostly bags; nothing sharp and fatal.

He didn't say a word. I was expecting a scream, or a plead, but he sat there like a stiff rock, not even trembling a little.

Didn't take him for a guy who'd freeze around danger.

Hearing the sound of water, I opened my eyes to witness an endless greenery outside the windows. Rain was the only thing that could make things worse right now and it had ardently decided to join us.

"Changbin, I'm going to have to push you out of a moving vehicle. It doesn't seem like it'll stop any moment now! It will hurt but it's the only way for you to survive. I'm really sorry!" I exclaimed, not hearing my own voice over the beating of my heart.

"Won't the van come to a stop eventually?" he declared.

"Or it might slam into a hard surface and we'll die!" I screamed.

"I'm not jumping off. You do it!"

"And leave you here? Not happening!" By this point, the guy was going to die because I was crushing him, and not because of this never-ending cliff.

Luckily, the vehicle stumbled upon a large pile of twigs and lost some of its velocity.
Unluckily, it lost its balance and flipped over, causing the windows on the side to shatter into a million little pieces.

Had it not been for my hold on Changbin, I would have died a second ago.
And had it not been for his hold on the seat and headrest, we both would have died a second ago.

The van came to a full rest as it slept on its side. The only way to escape was to climb upward to get to the door.

We're alive.

We actually survived that.

This will be such a hard flex on my résumé.
I can't wait to tell the Lieutenant about it.

Droplets of rain began to grace us through the open door on top of us. Holding on was becoming increasingly difficult because of the wet and slimy cushions.

"Ok, so I'm going to climb up and- Is your seatbelt still stuck?!" I looked at his seatbelt, trying to magically configure an answer.

"If I unbuckle it, we'll both fall onto the glass," he sighed.

"You're not frozen stiff anymore." I smiled. "How strong are your arms?"

"What?"

"Can you carry yourself up on one arm for a few seconds?" I elaborated.