Chapter 29

He knows Shotaro? Jieun thought as Shotaro immediately cut the ropes binding Jieun while the other male undid her rag.

"Sorry Jieun." Shotaro said as they freeded her. Jieun couldn't help but rub her wrists which had red marks. "I had to make them believe that I was on their side."

"It's alright." Jieun said, pitying the male as he took the jacket. "But you need to explain what is going on."

"Yuta." The male said, introducing himself as he stuck out his hand. "Shotaro and I are part of the Phoenixes based in Tokoyo. We'll continue to explain as we get out of here."

"Wait, Shotaro, you're part of the Phoenixes?" Jieun exclaimed in disbelief as they headed out, Shotaro now wearing his jacket.

"Yeah, I'm really not part of a dance crew. I spend my nights hanging out with Yuta-san." Shotaro said, flashing her a bright smile.

"Tayeong called us over after Seolhee died because he had a feeling that something wasn't right. That's when Shotaro found you all and we decided that he should go undercover." Yuta explained as Shotaro led them to his car, taking out his car keys.

"That makes sense. No wonder you were always against fighting and always seemed to know more about the Phoenixes than the rest of us." Jieun said as she slid into the back.

She watched as Yuta dialed a number, putting his phone to his ear while Shotaro started his car.

"Yeah, although personally, I'm not a big fighter. I just hang around, I'm quite useless to the gang." Shotaro said as he guided the car out of the parking lot.

"No, don't say that. You've been the best informant we've ever had." Yuta said, ruffling Shotaro's hair as he giggled.

Jieun felt like she was ruining the moment as she leaned forward. "Wait, where are we going?"

"To the base of the Phoenixes." Shotaro told her. "Renjun's in trouble."

...

"Mark, I'm fine. I'll go." Renjun said, trying to push through but Mark shook his head.

"You are not fine, I'm positive that you will lash out if you see her." Mark told him. "You're going to stay here with Jeno's mother, I don't care what you say."

"But Mark." Renjun whined but Mark had said his words.

"Come on, I'll walk you." Jeno said, pulling Renjun away and up the stairs.

It wasn't that Renjun didn't like Jeno's mother, in fact, the woman was absolutely lovely. She treated all the Phoenixes like her own children and often cooked for them even though it was so much work. He just didn't want to be with her when he could be off, fighting whoever had Jieun.

"Eomma!" Jeno called out as they entered the apartment, the three cats greeting Renjun. At least they're happy to see me.

"Jeno?" Jeno's mother came out, a small smile on her face. "Oh, and Renjun! Hello boys."

"We're heading out, but can you make sure Renjun stays here?" Jeno asked his mother.

"Of course, come here." Jeno's mother said, linking arms with Renjun.

Renjun shot his friend the dirtiest look possible but Jeno only gave him his eye smile before leaving.

"Renjun dear, do you mind helping me prepare a meal for when the boys get back?" Ms. Lee asked, as she dragged him to the kitchen.

"Of course, Eomma-nim." Renjun replied, trying to hide how mad he was that he was stuck here.

While the two prepared to cook, there was something unsettling about how quiet it was, even with Jeno's mother humming to herself.