20.

Right as he said it, a loud commotion came from down the stairs. I didn't know what it was, but Remington seemed to have looked worried. I picked out clothes and threw them on. He grabbed me and threw me over his shoulder. I didn't know why until I realized how fast he was. I couldn't have gotten down to the living room that fast.

When he let me down, I noticed a heaped pile on the floor, surrounded by blood. Kian and Oliver were standing around it.

As I walked closer, I gasped. It wasn't just some heaping pile of blood. It was Maria.

She was shaking violently on the ground. Gouges covered her body along with bruises and other marks.

"What the hell is going on?! What happened?!" Remington hooked and the two boys cowered a bit. "Well? Get her to medical, now!"

The boys picked her up and rushed down the hall. Remington followed after them and me behind him. We walked down a long hall, took a left, and entered a white room. It looked like a check up room in a doctors office, with more room. Tables and shelves lined the walls. They placed her on the bed and a woman came rushing in.

She ushered us all out to work on Maria. We all went into the hallway, Remington glaring at the boys. They both started talking at once, seeming to speak some kind of gibberish.

"Stop! Kian, what happened? Full story." Remington growled. I hadn't realized what kind of authority he held until now. The boys looked slightly afraid of him.

"Well, we went to the pack you asked us to, two hours north." He started and Remington nodded. He motioned with his hand that he wanted him to keep going. "Um, we walked in and the guy you assigned to run the place, the beta..."

"Yes, Kian. Keep going." Remington's loud, commanding voice ordered. The two boys shook in his presence.

"Well, they were mates." Kian shrugged, like that answered everything. He hadn't no words left. So Oliver started to speak.

"He was married. He rejected her and when she refused to accept, he did this." Oliver quickly spat out and Remington's hand flew to his mouth. He ran his hand over his face and started pacing.

"What do you mean? Her mate did this to her? How?" I asked and they all turned to me. How could that guy want to be with anyone else? How could someone do this to their mate? That kind of damage.

Then, the doctor came out. Her shirt and hands were covered in blood. Maria's blood.

"She had a few broken ribs poking out, a broken leg, and a concussion. She'll be fine in a couple days. She's asleep now, but you can visit when she wakes up." The doctor spoke and I gasped. All of that, and she'll be fine in a couple of days. How could someone do that much damage to her? How could someone do that much damage to their mate?

Kian and Oliver rushed into the room, disregarding what the doctor had said. Remington turned to me, looking at me in my shocked kind of state.

"Ryleigh, sometimes there's just bad people out there. Okay? Sometimes good people make bad decisions. It comes with having a choice." He said and I shook my head, backing away from him. If that man could hurt his mate this bad, could Remington do the same to me? Would he?

He noticed the fear in my eyes and his face changed. He looked hurt. Like me backing away was a stab to his heart.

"Ryleigh, come here. I won't hurt you." He tried and I shook my head, gasping for air.

"You don't know that! Look! Look what her mate did to her! You could do that!" I yelled and he shook his head, stepping closer to me. I watched as his eyes started to glisten.