soulmate theory (piper mclean)

𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐲

This series of seven oneshots; Lightning Kisses, Bear Claws, Plans and Formulas, Soulmate Theory, Architectural Wonder, Pegasus Wings and Breaking the Mist are based off artwork made by @savysamiart. I have gotten permission from the artist to be using their artwork to show and make oneshots off of. Please find this artist at @savysamiart on Instagram or @savysami on tumblr and tiktok to show them some love and appreciate all of their art

          𝔚hen Piper had gone to the Apollo cabin, she hadn't quite realised that her tattoos would be magical. That minor little detail had been left out of the contract that she had signed before they'd out her in a chair and started adding tattoos to her skin.

So, when the birds on her chest flew around her rib cage, Piper had freaked out. Thus followed a lot of screaming, shouting and general fear until she calmed down and talked to the Apollo cabin again. That tattoo artists calmed her down, explaining that the tattoos would move depending on what they were and what they were designed to do. That last bit was for her to work out and come to her conclusions.

Piper had dived into research, speaking to others who had the tattoos, reaching out to her friends and reading texts about the magical properties of them.

It was from there that Piper learnt about the whole soulmate theory bit and how tattoos could occasionally show who you were destined to be with. Ever since then, she'd kept a close eye on her tattoos, hoping that one would be the thing she needed to connect with the person that she was destined to love for all eternity, either platonically or romantically. 

But, nothing was ever that simple, least of all for the Daughter of Love, who had a mother who's job seemed to be meddling in things that didn't concern her. In particular, Aphrodite seemed to have taken a sudden interest in her lifestyle and Piper wasn't best pleased about that.

So, even a year after she had gotten her last tattoo, Piper still hadn't seen if one of them would show her who her soulmate was.

"Piper, we are going to be late!" Piper groaned, rolling over and pushing herself up. Stretching, the now college aged demigod, stumbled to the shower in her dorms in New Rome, waking herself up and getting ready to leave for lectures. 

Piper wiped the condensation off the mirror, tilting her head back and forth to look for spots or any marks on her face. There was nothing, and she raised her arm to run her hand through her hair, before pausing.

There were eyes in the mirror.

Well, obviously, there were her eyes looking in the mirror in the bathroom, but there, on her elbow, were a pair of eyes in the shattered mirror. They were beautiful, distorted but beautiful, staring at her with panic and Piper's heart skipped a beat. She'd never seen them before, they weren't hers, nor any of her closest friends, but they were watching her like she owed them something.