Chapter 8: Trick Tower

Thanks for 800+ reads. Enjoy :)

-

The rain sputtered against the ground. You lifted your hands to see blood caked on them, washing away with the rain. Your breathing was heavy and thick tears slipped down your face. The body of the man you just killed laid lifeless on the cold pavement beside you. You looked up to see your father looming over you. "You'll have to get used to this feeling, this sight" he said. "Now get up" You tried to get your legs to lift yourself up off the ground but your weakened state refused to let you stand. Your father had already walked away, he was accompanied by two other men, men who you had never seen before. The rain slowly died down, yet you continued to sit helplessly on the pavement. 

Suddenly, a hand reached out. You looked up to see a kid, no older than you, staring into your eyes. He seemed emotionless, yet you felt a sense of comfort within him. You took his hand and he helped you up. "You're new to this..." he started, "It'll get easier, trust me" He tried to be reassuring with his words, yet it only made you cry harder.

You were 6. This was your first kill.

Being an assassin, there were surely more to come.

-

Your mind suddenly gained consciousness, though you were still half asleep. 'Stupid memories...why'd it have to be that one?' You thought to yourself. If it was in the past, why did it still affect you so much? You've killed tons of people, but the first time still haunted you. 'No reason to think about that. Put yourself together, (y/n)' you told yourself.

'I should get up'

Your eyes slowly opened. The dim rays of the sun shone through the window onto your half-asleep face. 'So bright...' you thought.

'Gross...I think there's a hair in my mouth'

You looked down only to see strands of Illumi's hair in your mouth. "Ack! Gross!" You scrambled up and brushed them out.

Illumi shot up as if he wasn't even asleep. He stared at you, puzzled. "What happened?" he asked.

"Oh, haha, nothing...." you replied sheepishly.

"Oh."

"Sorry for waking you, Illumi."

"It's fine, (y/n). We both needed to be up anyway." Illumi responded. He got out of the bed.

"Yeah..." you said.

Illumi checked his phone. "Hisoka says we should meet him in the center of the airship soon. Most participants are gathering there."

"Okay. Then I'm going to head back to my room quickly to freshen up." You said while getting up.

"Sure" Illumi responded.

You headed toward the door, unlocked it, and paused for a moment. "Thanks for letting me sleep here last night"

"You're welcome, (y/n)"

"See you in a few minutes" you said while leaving.

"Sure...see you"