Chapter 23: An Encounter with Thieves

I apologize for the delay in posting this chapter. Thank you for your patience. Enjoy :)

-

You sat on your bed dressed in the new attire you had picked out for your mission.

Lulu was cuddled up next to you, and you stroked her head gently. Renji was helping you pack. He was rushing about your room shoveling extra weapons, bandages, or any other things you may need into a small bag.

"(Y/n) where the hell did you put your spare pocket knife?" he asked, searching almost everywhere he could.

"Why would I even need that?" you responded, motioning towards the twelve blades that sat in your scabbard. Surely one pocket knife was unnecessary if you carried twelve others that were much sharper.

"You never know when you'll need it" Renji said. "So tell me where it is"

You groaned. "I assure you, I'll be fine without it" you protested.

"Jeez (y/n). Just tell me where it is and I'll leave you alone"

"I'm telling you I really don't need it"

"(Y/n)-"

"Renji can you please just stop!? I can't deal with this right now!" you yelled, burying your face in your hands. "Please... I'm just not in the mood"

Renji set down the bag he was packing and sat next to you. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing" you said, while holding your legs to your chest.

He wrapped an arm around you. "Don't lie to me"

You sighed. "I'm sorry I yelled. I'm just... scared"

"You're scared?" He asked, clearly surprised.

You nodded. "Four days ago my father told me I'd have to steal from the Phantom Troupe. I wasn't exactly thrilled about the mission, but I agreed to it. I was already fearful of the Troupe but I guess now...." you sighed. "Now I'm really regretting this decision"

"It's just stealing one thing, right? You can do that" Renji tried to reassure you.

"You don't get it. It's the Phantom Troupe, Renji. They could actually kill me. This is unlike any other job I've had before"

Renji grabbed you and made you face him. He had a serious look, one which said you were in for a lecture.

"Look, (y/n). It's okay for you to be scared, that's completely fine, but you're the strongest person I know. If anyone can take care of this mess it's you. Plus, you won't be alone, right? You'll have a team there to back you up, and me to cheer you on" he smiled.

You couldn't help but smile back. Renji always had a way to make you feel better, no matter how horrible the situation.

You hugged him. "Thanks, Renji. I'm still a little scared but I also feel a lot better"