𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘. 𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐌𝐄

" I'm right here, "

- N.V.D

KAZ BREKKER WAS NERVOUS - something that happened more often than he'd like to admit

KAZ BREKKER WAS NERVOUS - something that happened more often than he'd like to admit. He clawed at his skin through the leather of his gloves, straying away from Ivanov and the others, who were babbling away - on the decks of the harbour.

The rough Ketterdam wind chopped at the ocean, sending water flying into the air. Sea spray whipped up towards the heavens before crashing down into hell itself. It wasn't ideal conditions, and certainly didn't leave him especially cheery, but it would do.

His eyes strayed across the harbour, his gaze hidden through a veil of mist. His wraith was late. Kaz glanced down at his silver wristwatch, tapping the dials. Inej was never late, yet the harbour remained empty.

If was someone else Kaz would have left, or at least blown a bullet through their ear for the trouble. But was this Inej Ghafa, his most reliable member of the dregs, and a major piece of the puzzle he and Alessia had been constructing. So Kaz Brekker waited.

___

"YOU HAVEN'T PAID!"

Natasha Van Doren skidded down the rain-streaked streets of Ketterdam, hitching up the cuffs of her new trousers as she went. She kicked up dirt and rocks as she passed, leather boots scratching at the back of her ankles.

With no money, she sold her best loaves of bread to the bakers, swapping it for less than 20 kruge. With that, she swapped the shawl for a leather courier, tucking away her few things. A merchant had taken interest in the silver wristwatch on her wrist promising 50 kruge for it, but sent him away with a scowl, turning down the lane.

Natasha laughed loudly, as she scrambled down the path, jumping over stray dogs, even stopping to pet one when she was feeling bold. She raced past the warehouse district, adjusting the front of her silk blouse.

She could hear the merchers footsteps loud and messy behind him, the soles of his boots slipping beneath the sleek pavements. She jumped over the gate, passing Mariam's bakery and sparing her a wave, before tucking into the corner.

She bled a path of darkness towards a free alley, but it only would work so well. She kept close to the bricks, careful not to stain her new shirt. "I'm right here," she sniggered, as the mercher wildly shook his head around.

"Your tricks aren't working," he spat. He was standing right in front of her, his hand only an inch from her wrist.

"Seeing as you can't see me. I think my tricks are working perfectly," Natasha grinned, slipping down the alley. She made sure to keep her steps light and subtle as she saw Inej do, tripping down the alley and speeding away before the mercher had time to collect his wits.

Natasha paced to a halt - to catch her breath, gazing at her surroundings. A grey mist had spread across the harbour, blinding her sight. She scowled, brushing down the front of her blouse and making her way towards the boats.

In good luck, a boat would be moored on the harbour and she'd be able to sneak her way aboard. Nikolai had taught her enough about boats and Kaz enough to steal one. She crouched down onto the balls of her heel, steadying herself against the rocking edge of the boat.

5th Harbour, was peaceful, despite the lashing whip of the waves. The merchers who dared face the jagged waters were stood mumbling prayers and even one wishing words into the silver of his watch. Natasha watched amused, as the mercher scowled, pacing up and down the gangplank of his boat.

An angry mercher was all she needed to sneak onto his boat and steal what she needed. She crept over to the swaying ship, tugging on the ropes to steady herself. Ferolind was, painted in bold letters - a Kerch flag battered in the storm. She swung her bag over the deck, crawling up like a spider and rolling onto the planks.

Natasha landed face first with a loud thud, which seemingly went unnoticed. She peeked her head over the top of the deck, watching his hat bob up and down in the mist. What a fucking idiot, she thought with a grin.

She stole her way below deck, gathering up bottles of kvas as she passed, tucking them into her pack. The boat carried scarce items. A few loops of rope hooked on the wall and a vine of grapes on top of a scrubbed table.

The rest of the office was packed with crates, their lids held tight with thick ropes. Natasha didn't have the time or patience to search them, so she pocketed the grapes, turning up towards the deck. Nikolai had told her most mercher boats carried small cargo space at the back of the deck, a place big enough for a girl like her.

She peered over the deck once more, peering down at the below here. But what she didn't see was none other than Kaz - staring right back, eyes alight.

"Natasha," Kaz Brekker's voice was urgent, his eyes flaming not with anger but fear "Get off the-" But he didn't get the chance to finish his sentence.

He was too late. 

A/N

- Sorry for such a short chapter :/ The next one will be full of drama for Natasha and Kaz though! Also, I know the GIF at the start doesn't really context with what's happening but I love Wanda to much not to use it. Anyways, thank you for reading! please vote and comment if you liked the chapter

- rosa <3