𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. 𝐂𝐈𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒

" Insanely handsome and devilishly intelligent, I already know, "

- K.B

NATASHA KEPT TO HERSELF FOR THE REST OF THE DAY

NATASHA KEPT TO HERSELF FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. Seconds bled into minutes, minutes into hours, and before she had even realised, darkness had swept the sky, a moon taking place across the horizon. It shone darkly beneath a tangle of clouds, glistening like the end of a sharp razor blade or a particularly shiny diamond.

The afternoon had washed by with shared scowls and bottles of kvas. Alessia, Inej and Nina had disappeared below deck, donning stolen loaves of bread and cheese, their giggling still heard in the cold wind.

Wylen and Jesper had escaped to their cabins, Matthias lugging his weight behind him. He glared over at Natasha as he passed through the doorframe, his bright blue eyes shining with a message Natasha had no bother in deciphering.

Matthias Helvar was like a puzzle, no one wasted time on piecing. There were too many pieces that happened to fit in all the wrong places. Trying to understand him was like trying to understand the universe, there were too many stars, too many planets, and too many goddamn things to consider.

She sent him off with a mirrored huff, glaring back through cat-like slits. It was something she had picked up from Zoya Nazyalensky, someone she admired, but was too stubborn to admit. Natasha hated to say she missed the etherealki, their late-night wanders around the little palace, and the sarcastic insults they traded daily.

"We're equals," Zoya had told Natasha as she was to leave for Ketterdam. They had held hands, shared hugs and even light compliments. Of course, Zoya's pride betrayed her in the end. "But, if we were to fight, we all know I would win."

The boat had picked up speed before she could retort, Nazyalensky becoming a blurry dot of colour on Ravka's harbour. 

A part of Natasha knew through the joke, it was true. Zoya was probably in the little palace, terrorizing the new students and working alongside Nikolai. A true equal.

Zoya wasn't exactly slumming through Ketterdam, and about to kidnap a mad scientist. Natasha could imagine the wrinkle in Zoya's nose if she could see her now, dressed in cotton and with Jurda stained teeth.

"What are you doing awake?" Natasha heard the stab of his crow cane before his voice. 

She twisted around to face him, soaking in his features in the glimmer of the moon. His lips were pursed, in a crooked way, almost as if he was scheming - then again, when was Kaz Brekker not?

"Making sure you don't sneak up on whilst I'm asleep, and try to stab me," Natasha shrugged. A pack of cigarettes stuck out her pocket, a stolen lighter in her hand.

The fire burned like a star, roaring in the darkness. She crossed a sharp hand across the flame, watching it cower away beneath a blistering blanket of darkness. It was a magic trick, Kaz Brekker despised as there was no way he con it for himself.