Get My Cigarettes

Chapter Forty-One

*~*~*~*

"I'm just saying, Jay, you got a target on your head and you don't seem too phased." Adam commented as the guys made their way out of the break room while Erin and Scout sat at their desks.

"Overseas, my unit and I, we always had a bounty on us," Jay shrugged. It was the truth, he wasn't too concerned about the large bounty that Oskar Bembenek had put on his head for killing his brother during the arrest.

"Most gangs only pay 10G for a cop," Olinsky pointed out.

"If you're really worth a hundred, I should take you out myself. Pay off my mortgage and legal fees." Antonio joked, setting a fresh cup of coffee down on Scout's desk as he slipped past her to his own.

"Try it," Jay dared.

"Don't go around tempting us, Halstead." Scout shot the wanted man a warning look. "Don't forget, I know how you think."

"Not to mention she was almost married to a Ranger," Adam added.

"And she's probably got more motivation than the rest of us from you ending things," Olinsky offered his own two sense. "There was a coke dealer one time, put a million dollar tag on me and Voight."

"What?" Jay's brows raised at the large bounty.

"How'd you handle that?" Adam wondered.

"Well, you dust yourself. Never go home the same way twice. Run red lights. If a car follows you through one, you chamber around and you handle business." Olinsky advised the younger detectives.

"I could still take him down," Scout offered in attempt to lighten the mood.

"Keep it up and Matt and I'll start taking your guns when you're off duty. Again," Antonio warned the woman.

"You'll have to find them first." Scout grinned over the top of her cup before taking a sip of the drink.

"This is Billy Fagan." Voight cut the conversation short as he joined them in the bullpen, pinning a guy's picture up on the otherwise empty whiteboard. "Small time hood had ties to a local outfit. I've run into him a couple of times. This is Billy Fagan seven hours ago."

"Decided to add a little more color into his style, huh?" Scout joked as Voight pinned up a picture of Fagan's bullet-riddled body. Her comment only earning her a soft smack to the back of the head from Antonio as he stood behind her chair.

"Organized crime found a dollar bill pinned to his chest. They looked into the Serbians, the cartels, coming up empty." Voight continued, ignoring the Keltner woman.

"We taking this from organized crime because he was your poker buddy?" Erin questioned.

"Start reaching out to your CIs," Voight instructed everyone before looking back at Erin. "You got a sec?"

"Looks like someone's still pissed about him playing with IA," Scout released a low whistle once the office door closed behind Erin, providing her and Voight with some privacy.

"You really telling me you wouldn't be pissed if your father-figure hid something like that from you?" Adam tried to give the Lindsay woman some support. Though he didn't miss the warning looks several of the other men shot him for his words. "What?"

"Maybe learn to keep your mouth shut, Pup." Scout suggested as her phone started to ring. She slipped out of the room without another word to take the call.

"Am I missing something here?" Adam asked the others.

"Maybe just don't bring up her parents from now on," Antonio suggested. "You'll be less likely to have her take shots at you that way."

The Good and the BadOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara