- Chapter 16 -

The bruising on his face under the light of the street lamps create the illusion of Cole wearing a superhero mask which only brings out the crystal blue in his eyes. If Cole considers what happened to be a fight with the amount of bruising he has on his face and knuckles, I can't imagine how bad the other guy looks. My own bias to Cole hopes the other guy looks worst off.

We've been walking for roughly two minutes. I've managed to split my focus on taking in Cole's appearance as well as nervously taking into account I'm with him, on my own, because he wanted to be?

It's October and the weather no longer provides us with any hope of sunshine or summer heat, just preparing us for the cold winter ahead. Yet, I'm hot. I'm not wearing a jumper underneath my coat for once, only my uniform of a shirt and trousers and well underwear and bra of course. I hate that my body acts this way and I hate that I have to admit to myself that it only does happen when I'm around Cole. I know exactly what my body is trying to tell my head. All the red flags are glaring bright but do not want to be registered. My sweaty palms, overthinking every word or action he makes, feeling incredibly hot all the time- it can only mean one thing- I have a crush. My early teen self is working its way to the surface and I can feel the heat in my cheeks make an unwanted appearance. Hopefully, Cole is one of those oblivious guys. The ones that don't understand any signs or hints that my body is practically shouting to him. I would be mortified if he caught on.

I notice his pace is matching mine when usually it's me trying to keep up with his. I look up at him and find his already looking down at me.

"Can we start over?" He asks, with a small smile and optimistic eyes that are giving his puppy eyes from earlier a run for their money.

"Haven't we already done that?" I say, raising my brow. "Twice." I add.

"Third time lucky?" He swings his body around whilst asking the question so that he's walking slightly ahead and walking backwards, facing me.

I roll my eyes as he throws his hands together in a plea before returning to my side.

"Please?"

"Fine. But, I will only be your friend if you answer three questions and I'm satisfied with the answers you give me."

"Satisfied?"

"Yes. You're hard to read and I need an answer from you that I consider enough if you want to be my friend. That means no blunt answers."

"Fine." He says, rolling his eyes.

"Perfect. First one: Who did you get in a fight with?"

"I told you, you don't know him."

"I'm not satisfied." I pick up my pace and walk ahead but his long legs close the small gap I created within a few steps.

"Sienna." He says my name bluntly yet in a soft tone. Keeping his eyes on me, I quickly look in his direction, then return my gaze to look straight ahead. I can see that I haven't struck a nerve with him by asking this question and he did agree to answer three questions. I don't know why I said three, to begin with, I don't have three questions at the top of my head. But, at this rate with how much persuading I still need to give him to answer and how reluctant he is, I have plenty of time to think of the other two. He still appears relaxed so I keep going.

"C'mon. It's a simple question and you have two more."

Cole let's out a exhale of breath, now staring forward rather than down at me. "He was a friend of mine but he did a bad thing and I guess you can say we had unfinished business. Ok?" He says, sounding unsure, turning his body to me he raises a brow. "Satisfied?" No. What bad thing and what unfinished business? I know it will be a waste of my little question round to pry more into details because of how hesitant he was to answer the first one regarding the fight. Maybe, if this friendship does blossom, I can find out later. I'll wait.