- Chapter 18 -

It's October 19th. I have a habit of switching my phone off at 23:59 on October 18th to avoid the notification that comes my way as soon as the clock strikes 00:00. I check the time on my watch and it's 10 am. Letting out a heavy breath through my mouth, I lean over to open the top drawer of my bedside cabinet to get my phone. I had hoped that I would at least sleep through half the day but I suppose most of the morning will have to do.

I place my phone down when I've switched it back on to wiggle into my floral pyjama bottoms as I only slept in a white cropped T-shirt and underwear last night. Turning my phone over so that the screen is facing me, I hesitantly unlock my phone. Notifications and messages flood the screen.

I position my body so that I'm sat up with my legs crossed before opening up WhatsApp.

Mum: Happy 20th Birthday Darling. I love and miss you so much, sending lots of love and kisses your way. Will call later. Love mum.

For years my mum has gone undefeated with being the first person to wish me a happy birthday. She has always sent her birthday message at exactly midnight. When I was still living at home, if I was already in bed, she would come into my room just to wake me to wish me a happy birthday. I never knew why or never cared to ask why she did it. All I know is it makes her happy to be the first and I'm more than happy to have her be the first person I acknowledge on this day.

Brody: Happy Birthday, Hope your birthday is as special as you are. See you later.

Brody follows in at a close second, wishing me a happy birthday two minutes after my mum. While the other text messages were sent throughout the morning.

Dad: Happy Birthday little one.

Eden: Happy Birrhday Sienna ♡

Jocelyn: You're 20! Happy Birthday Oldie

I give myself a mental countdown of five more minutes before I will practically have to force myself out of bed. How is it, I can lay in bed for hours after waking with no motivation of getting up? I'm starting to question the existence of a good night's sleep. Continuing to read through the few messages I've received, making sure to send a reply then open a new message.

Tristan: Happy Birthday Sienna.

Eden: Your Birthday Breakfast is ready :)

Jocelyn: Hurry up! Eden won't let me eat anything until you come out of your room and we sing to you!

And, that's the prompt I needed to get out of bed. Hurling my legs over the side of my bed, I let them dangle while I take in the last minute before I force myself up.

Ten

Nine

Eight

Seven

Six

Five

Four

Three

Two