Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I was finally at Heidi’s house, honking outside the gate. It was already dark and quiet outside. I had no doubts I was bothering all the neighbours but who cared. “State your name and purpose.” I heard Geoff’s voice over the intercom.

“Danica Harper. I just want to see my woman, goddamnit!”

I could hear the man laughing on the intercom before replying to me. “I’m sorry Ms Harper. Ms Sanchez isn’t expecting any visitors. Try calling her and request to see her.”

I frowned and searched for my phone, dialling Heidi’s number when I found it. She answers just before it got to the voice mail. “Hey Bubs, I’m at your gate and Geoff won’t let me in,” I told her in an innocent voice.

I could imagine her smiling in response. “I thought you were spending Christmas with your family.”

“I did. Now I’m spending today with you. Besides, I got you a gift, remember?”

“Oh, yeah.” She breathes. “Tell Geoff to let you through.”

“Sure.” I honked until I heard Geoff’s voice over the intercom again.

“Ms Harper?”

“Hi Geoff,” Heidi greeted. “I hope you are having a good night.”

“I am, Ms Sanchez. Should I let Ms Harper through?”

“Yes, please. And Geoff, just like my sister she’s always welcome.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

The gates opened, and I rolled in, passing Geoff, who smiled and waved at me. I waved back. “Good night Geoff!”

I parked my car behind Heidi’s and ran up to the front porch. The front door opened as I approached, revealing her to me. She pulled her hair into a loose bun still, loose strands of her hair draped her face. She was wearing PJ’s, but God, she looked so sexy in them. How does anybody look this good in pyjamas?

“Hi,” she said, her eyes sweeping over me. “You look great.”

I blush, glancing over at the outfit I wore. It was a dark grey jogger paired with a grey and white crop top and my Nike Air Forces. Nothing over the top. “Thank you.”

Henry peered from behind her legs then, his curious eyes taking me in. I handed Heidi my bags and stretched my arms out for him to come to me, stooping down to his level. “Hi, buddy. How’re you? Come here.”

Slowly, he moved from behind his mother and walked into my hands. I picked him up and watched as Heidi displayed a very proud smile. She looked as if she was about to cry.

“He literally just went to you!” She exclaimed. “Willingly.”