Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Danica’s POV

We saw each other around school every day mainly since we had most classes together but we haven’t had the time to repeat what happened on the roof on Wednesday.

I spent most of my free time in Ms Chamberlain’s class to help her finish sort things out for the showcase on Sunday. Jessie had some issues with her music that I had to help sort out for her. I was hoping I could get it done before Friday so she would have enough time to rehearse.

As much as we weren’t friends, or even on talking terms, I didn’t want her to go out there unprepared. She was still a very talented dancer, and she deserved to shine.

The rest of the crew was working extra hard these last few days, and props were already being set up in the auditorium.

It was interesting to see the auditorium take the atmosphere of a circus. The art department really put some effort into making it come alive and it impressed me.

We had fun rehearsing with the props on Thursday and I was proud to say that everyone was in sync in the group dances and the costume changes weren’t as chaotic as Ms Chamberlain worried they would be.

On Friday I spent lunch with my friends, then after chemistry, I met Heidi on the roof again. I was enjoying her company, which was a complete turnaround from how we were a few weeks ago.

Ever since I read the book, it was like I completely forgave her. I understood now why she did what she did. She was just a child seeking love and approval from the people who should’ve loved her unconditionally. How could I blame her for that? How could I blame her for being human?

I couldn’t and I couldn’t stay mad at her now, either. That didn’t mean I forgot. I won’t ever forget the pain she put me through, and I didn’t know if I would ever let her back into my heart again, but I knew I wasn’t mad at her anymore.

Today she wore these ankle-length boots with gold buttons on them. I didn’t know why I noticed that, but I just did. I loved seeing her in boots. They made her look sexy.

She coiled her hair into tighter curls than usual, with a white headband to hold it away from her face. She wore little makeup; I noticed as I walk to her, where she was already sitting. It’s been a long time since I saw her wear curls like that and they complimented her nicely.

“Hey.” I offered as I approached.

“Hi.” She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes.

“How are you?” I sat beside her on the bench and looked at her, waiting for her response.

Her legs crossed at the knees and her elbow rested on top while her palm pressed against her jaw. She shrugged at my question. “Fine. Just having one of those off days.”

“Want to tell me all about it?”

She shook her head. “I don’t want to bore you.”