Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Heidi's P.O.V

It's been weeks since the court hearing and since then apart from going to school, I spent every waking hour locked away in my house. The whole thing with Miguel and Carter was all over the place and all over at school. The very thing that I was afraid of.

Miguel was innocent, but Carter was guilty. He was still a free man, though. His dad, being a big Hollywood director, bailed him out of all his charges and he got away with everything and only eighteen months of community service.

The court also made him switch schools, which I was thankful for. At least I didn't have to see him or be around him every day.

I've been having therapy sessions with Dr Martin twice a week since the first court hearing and it's been a tremendous help. My nightmares are less frequent, and I was feeling at peace. I was healing.

I gave a formal apology to Miguel, having wrongfully accused him, which he accepted. It was unclear if we would ever get back that friendship we once had, but time will tell.

I finished putting diapers into Henry's diaper bag and slung it over my shoulder before I bent down to pick him up. We made our ways downstairs to the kitchen where I got his water and snacks for the day. After fixing a bottle of warm milk, I handed it to him and put him to sit on the couch.

"Drink your milk and stay here. Mummy will be right back." I told him.

I ran upstairs and packed my bag for the day. After doing a mental check, I realised I forgot my phone.

I meant to grab it quickly, but it wasn't anywhere in sight. It wasn't on my bed, my dresser, in the bathroom, or my closet. I made it to Henry's room and there it was, staring at me from his bedside table. I fetched it and ran downstairs as quickly as possible.

At first, when I go to the living room, I don't see him and my heart went to my throat. "Henry?"

I looked around and spotted one shoe going into the dining room. I followed it and notice a line of brown smudges on the wall and the floor. "Please tell me that's peanut butter." I hoped.

I then spotted his diaper on top of the table and I knew then that it wasn't peanut butter. My stomach churned with disgust. "Henry, no!"

I ran after the trail of clothes and brown smudges to the kitchen and found him standing right before the fridge, staring at me. Diaperless and covered in filth. It covered everything. We needed to be on our way else I'll be late for school. I didn't have time for this.

I groaned audibly as I searched the diaper bag for wipes and another diaper. "Come," I told him, leading him to the powder room.

"Buenos Dias, Mija." I heard Maria's voice and stopped. She looked around and chuckled in disbelief. "What happened here? And what is that God awful smell?"

"That is not peanut butter, Maria and it's all over the place."

She laughed. "Classic. Don't worry, Mija, I'll take him." She made her way over and took the diaper and wipes from my hand. "You go to school. You're already late."

A flood of emotions came back to me as I starred after her. I had so much respect for Maria and I loved her like a mother. She was there for me more than any of my parents were. She raised me and now she is in my son's life too. "I don't know if I'll be able to thank you enough." My voice broke as I spoke.

She smiled, took Henry's hand, already leading him away. "You've already been pretty generous. Now go. You are late."

I nodded, and my eyes shifted to my son. "Bye Papi." I blew him a kiss.