Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I got home just after eight and showered immediately before going down to the living room to spend time with my family. That lasted about five seconds before I shamelessly passed out on the couch. It was just the crack of dawn when my eyes fluttered open again and I dragged myself up to bed.

My phone chimed on the nightstand, waking me hours after, but I pretended not to hear it so I could go back to sleep. But whoever it was, wasn’t giving up. I groaned and picked it up, then pressed it to my ear. “Ughallo.”

“What is that?” I recognised Marias’s voice.

“Maria, I’m sleeping.”

“Aaaa wake up. I can’t find my costume!”

I shot up in bed, suddenly wide awake. “What!”

“I can’t find my costume?” she repeated less convincingly.

“Didn’t you have it yesterday?”

“Yes, and I thought I took it home like Ms Chamberlain told us to do but I can’t find it.”

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. “Okay, meet me at the school. I’ll help you look for it.”

I groaned into a pillow before I dragged myself out of bed to my ensuite bathroom to get myself ready. After getting dressed and brushing my hair, I rushed down the stairs with my bag over my shoulder. I dropped it on the floor as I walked into the kitchen. Mom and Carly both sat at the counter and turned to look at me as I made my way over to the coffeemaker.

“Morning.”

“Look who’s awake.” Carly mocked.

I shot her a death stare before pouring myself some coffee.

“Morning, Hun,” mom said, not looking up from her newspaper. “You’re going this early?”

“Yeah. I have to help Maria find her costume.”

She nodded. “What time should we come again?”

 “Three,” I told her, and breathe in the aroma coming from the mug in my hand. Hmm, it smelled like heaven.

“Wasn’t it four?” Carly tried correcting.

I glared at her again. “Three, if you want to get seats!” I stated again through gritted teeth.

“Calm down, both of you. It’s too early for this bickering.” Mom scolded, her eyes still buried in the newspaper she read.

She showed me her tongue before going back to her breakfast.