Chapter 34

* Danica *

I ran through the door and up to Kathleen's room .

" Kathleen ! Leeny ! " I said , using her childhood nickname .

I opened the door to see Kathleen sitting on the floor breathing heavily as she tried to hide the tears from me . I sighed , and walked in , sititng on the floor beside her .

" What is it ? " I asked her , worried. 

 " What are we doing back here ? What am I doing back here ? " she asked , shaking her head . 

" What do you mean ? " I asked, playing dumb .

She looked over at me with an " I know your playing dumb, so stop it " look .

" I know you want me to tell someone . It's just so embarressing . " she muttered .

I knew she was talking about her father and that just made me feel really bad . 

" I-I'm sorry . I just think you would feel a little better if you told someone . " I said honestly .

Kathleen sighed and put her head in her hands .

" I wouldn't know how to begin . I mean , I don't want people to look at me or treat me differently because of it . How do you say " Hey , I'm sorry I'm a biotch , but it's really not my fault . You see , I have alot of abandonment , trust , and anger issues because my father is an abusive alcoholic that always told me I was never worth anything " . How do you do that ? " she asked .

I really could see where she was coming from . I really could . 

 " I'm sorry , Kathleen . " I said , once again appologizing .

She looked down . 

" I just want Alek . He was the only one who understands . He's the only one that can help me ."

I felt a little hurt by that .

" What do you mean by that ?Look , I know my parents aren't alchoholics but ---- " she cut me off .

" That's now what I meant . Sorry if it sounded that way . Alek he's .... this is probably going to sound crazy , but I know that he'd never let anything happen to me .He's ... stronger . Faster . Better . He's .... not what you think . Look , I'm tired . " she said quickly , laying down on her bed .

I didn't know what she meant by that and so I just sat on the floor for a moment thinking about it .

* Bella *

I gasped . I'd been standing outside Kathleen's door listening to her whole talk with Danica .Could it be true ? Is her father really an alcoholic ? It all made sense now ! I should've known ! I have to tell Jacob . I ran out of the house , grabbing my rain jacket on the way out , fiering up the engine in my truck as I drove to La Push and stopped outside of Emily's house . I knew they'd all still be there , probably having dinner or something . I got out and slammed the car door in a hurry . I barged through the door and everyone looked at me . 

" Are you okay , Bella ? " Emily asked worried .

" I-I know her secret . " I stammered .

Everyone looked at me surprised .

" What is it ? She's not a convict is she ? " Quil asked .

I bit my lip , not knowing if I should just blurt it out .

" I uh .... " I trailed off .

" Bella , look , if it's important then we should know . We're her friends . At least we want to be ." Embry said .