24 || A Living Force

Katamen's square isn't the only place drained of activity. Most of the streets are eerily quiet, doors bolted shut and unlit candles visible through rain-stained windows. It's like the entire village has become a series of cages, and Neyaibet's soldiers their guards, pacing the cobbled paths and quizzing anyone they see outside of their homes.

Cody explained that this is their way of keeping Katamen safe, whatever their twisted view of safety is. In reality, it's more a way to check up on each resident and ensure they aren't trying anything unauthorised.

It's a relief that I've gotten good at hiding, or they would have more than a few questions for me.

Hood pulled low and dagger concealed at my hip, I crouch inside the narrow porch of Katamen's tallest building. Most squat low to the ground, stretching out long with flat thatching for roofs, but this one is built differently. Rather than stone, the walls are wooden panels like much of Threlkeld, and they stretch upwards, coming to a sharp point of beams that jut into the sky in a similar fashion to the trees in the village's west. Before Neyaibet came, this was an inn, designed for travellers passing through. It still is, though in name only. Soldiers have taken over all the rooms on the upper floor and often reside in the tavern below. Occasionally, residents do slip in, but it is often only a hasty visit. After all, a soldier's blade is never far from their hand.

The tavern sells a drink called ale. According to Cody, the soldiers are more dangerous after a few mugs of it. It must hold some sort of dark magic to befuddle the mind in such a way.

It is still too early in the day for drinking, but voices drift faintly from inside. Two females, one male. The latter belongs to the innkeeper, who Cody has already visited to inform of my plan. All I need to do is wait for his signal.

Raucous laughter suddenly bursts out from the tavern, and I flinch back, pressing my back into the corner and ducking into the shadows. Since I picked off all the silver thread from my tunic during my time in the forest, not wishing for another scenario like Aiden, I am dressed entirely in black. The colour is useful, for once. It conceals.

The paler shade of my mask is an anomaly, but I can't remove that. I'm grateful Cody didn't suggest it. I'm not sure what explanation for its presence I could have offered. I touch it now, checking it still lies firm over my face. Being recognised now, with what I plan to do, would spell disaster.

A scraping sound shrieks through the air, cutting right through me. Boots clack against floorboards. I hold my breath, motionless.

The footsteps draw closer, the conversation briefly silent. My heart races. I curse how loud it thumps in my ears.

If all goes to plan, I won't have to fight anybody until I rejoin Cody, but my hand still drifts towards my dagger. Plans never entirely work out. As long as this one doesn't fall at the first hurdle.

The door creaks. My fingers close over the hilt.

Out of the doorway steps the innkeeper. I relax. He emerges glancing over his shoulder, a smile plastered on his face, but it falls as soon as he turns. His eyes widen briefly as if he's surprised to find me there, but he isn't. He shouldn't be. Perhaps he simply wasn't expecting Cody to be telling the truth.

Gaze firm, he gives me a soundless nod. I return it, shifting out of the corner. He closes the door with a soft thump before he hurries away, the clatter of his boots on the cobbles slowly fading.

As soon as he's gone, I stand, taking care not to attach more than muffled noise to my movements. The voices resume their chatter from inside the tavern. Carefully, with the gentlest tugs, I peel off the first of my gloves.