28 || A Way South

When Bentley arrives with my bag, I try my hardest to hand over at least a few coins, but Cody remains true to his word. In the end, it's me who backs down. Goodbyes pass quickly, my gaze wandering to the low-hanging sun staining the western cloud.

Or maybe my hastened retreat is due to his second use of Nathan. The shortened name, the nickname, the one that shows trust. I can't handle trust just yet.

I exit Katamen along the most southern path I can pick out, my arms wrapped around my middle to keep out the sudden chill creeping into my veins. The sooner I can slip into the forest's shadows, the better. My bag's straps dig into my shoulders, its additional load dragging at my step. My flame begs to break free from my skin.

Apparently, the world has other ideas.

Just as the spiky trees loom into view and earth starts to patch the cobbles at my feet, I catch the rush of water, similar to the cascade that pours into the pool at the place I first entered. Yet this one doesn't drop from slopes above, I soon discover. This stream winds out from behind the trees and slings past the furthermost house, disappearing into a rocky nook of the hill that rises up to my left. Its waters mirror the dull grey of the sky above. But it isn't the sight or the noise of the water that stops me in my tracks.

It's the sound I find just below it, the murmur of voices tangled with the faint scrape of blades.

Dashing to the left side of the street, I shrink against the stone-brick house, allowing a single step before I freeze again, listening. It's the Oscensi soldiers. Friendly voices, yet my heart still races at the idea of them seeing me here. Or Dalton seeing me here, more to the point. I don't want him to know I'm alone again. I don't want his curiosity, his concern.

My fingers curl into a groove between the bricks. If I sneak past quietly enough, stick to the shadows, they might not see me. Once I'm in the forest, I can run until the distance hides me from them.

But running means giving up my last glimpse of Sarielle.

The edges of their words tug at me, pricking at my ears. Pressed against the wall, I creep forward, placing my boots as soundlessly as I can. One in front of the other, the stream growing louder and closer, until those words take shape.

"... to move as fast as possible." Dalton's voice, pulled low by caution.

"I know that." Harper, words taut as if the whisper is a strain to produce. "But would it really slow us down so much? We're more than capable of--"

"It won't always be this easy," Dalton counters, but Harper isn't finished.

"Captain, forgive me, but you saw how grateful they all were today. We saved lives. Isn't that what we're in this for?"

Dalton is quiet for a moment. "Believe me, Harp." I shuffle a step closer, reaching to catch his hushed tone. "I'd love to save everyone. But we can't. Saving a little mountain town isn't going to win us back the kingdom."

Harper's sigh drifts around the corner. "You're right. I just... don't like it."

Dalton chuckles dryly. "I'd be worried if you did. And I understand your concern. But we can't stop again. It's vital we get south."

South. I lean forward, clinging to the wall. Its end is a bare pace away.

"Save the important people, then save the rest," Harper says. I shift up against the corner, chest resting into the bricks, building up the courage to peer around.

In the corner of my eye, Dalton's shining hilt slips in and out of view. "Once we're over the border, we'll be able to figure everything out. All I'm focusing on for the moment is getting us all there alive. That's a challenge enough."