42 || Never

The ground slopes downwards, and we follow it, walking in stiff silence. Sarielle drops back, scanning the area behind with every second that passes, pulled taut by tension. Fiesi hurries several paces ahead, only slowing when we reach tree cover. I feel as if caught in a trance. I can do nothing but keep marching onwards, the crunch of footsteps jarring in my ears, bright specs dancing across my vision that draw the forest out of focus.

I don't notice that Fiesi has stopped until he catches my arm, yanking me to a halt. For a moment, I think he's shaking, and then I realise that the trembles are my own. The warm touch of his skin on mine does nothing to help matters.

Slowly, he lifts his hand and then curls it around the spear, giving it a gentle tug, easing it from my grip. I'm almost reluctant to let him take it. The moment its weight is released from my hands, my legs buckle beneath me, and I have to grab for the nearest tree to keep me upright. Dizzy waves cascade through me, my head spinning.

My nails dig into the bark. I press both palms against it, leaning my forehead in, trying to stop my legs from shaking.

A hand rests on my shoulder. Sarielle, supporting my back. I twist around to meet her eyes and see that they glisten, bright with unshed tears.

"I'm okay." The words crack. Pressing my teeth together, I flip around, reclining my back into the tree. Whatever held me like a steel rod in front of Harlow has dissipated entirely, leaving me shaken and ready to collapse. I squeeze my eyes shut. "I'm okay." I'm reassuring myself as much as her.

"Look at me." Her voice is brittle, but it snaps out, enough to make me obey. There's almost anger cracking her expression. I flinch back from it. "Why did you do that? I thought..." She pulls in a breath, swiping at her eyes. "I was so sure..."

"I had to." Dragging up the surety I felt before, I press it into my tone. "I couldn't let you die for me."

She steps forward, less than an arm's length away. Her hand lifts, then falls to her side again, although her gaze doesn't leave me. "I'd rather die protecting you than watch you die."

"But it's okay. I didn't die." I try for a smile, though it wavers far too much to be real. I want to reassure her more than this, but I can't. She won't die for me. I won't let her.

Laughter cuts the air. I jump, spine jolting into the tree as I turn towards the sound. Fiesi props himself up against a tree, eyes sparking with amusement. "You have to admit, that was utter genius. You saw their faces, right?" He chuckles again. "They just let us walk out."

Despite myself, my smile settles into something more natural. He's right. And I did that.

"It isn't over." Sarielle rocks back on her heels, looking down for a second as if to collect herself. "They'll be following soon enough. We need to get back to camp as soon as possible."

In an instant, Fiesi's grin vanishes. "Right." He almost seems to fold in on himself, a shadow falling over his face. "Back to camp."

Her gaze slices towards him. "You fulfilled your end of the deal. You're free to go."

He lets out a long sigh, pushing off the tree. There it is again. The hesitancy, the uncertainty. He sweeps a hand through his hair. "Say," he starts, another faint laugh drifting out with the word, "you wouldn't mind if I tagged along, would you? Just for a little while?" Light, but imploring, tightening towards the end.

They meet eyes. She frowns, studying him. I can't help it. Gripping the bark behind me, I shift forward. "I don't mind. You should come with us."

He pulls himself taller. "Well, I did save your life."