eleven; slipping through my fingers.

*= Flashback

September Nineteenth, 2000

*"Last call to Seattle! Please have your boarding passes on hand when you reach the gates...." Nineteen year old Monica James let the voice drone out as she glanced down at the small, six week old baby girl strapped to her chest with the baby carrier she owned.

"It's gonna be weird for me too, Dally." She whispered when the newborn baby fussed around. Monica dragged her large suitcase behind her as she made her way through the crowded airport. Once she reached the gate, she handed over her boarding pass and forced a smile when the attendant cooed over the baby.

She wasn't ready for this. Not at all, not one bit. She hadn't been in Forks or La Push since she told Joshua Uley he was the father of the baby that she glanced down at every so often once she was seated in the uncomfortable seat of the cold airplane. The day he laughed in her face, until she showed him the ten pregnancy tests she had taken to make sure, the blood test results, the ultrasound and the paternity test. The fifth of January, to be exact. *

*     Joshua had glanced behind him, to double check his girlfriend Alison wasn't anywhere in sight or his three (four in nine days, to be exact) year old son Sam, before softly shutting the door behind him and joining the pregnant girl on the porch.

His eyes flicked to her stomach, which was far too early to be showing a bump just shy of ten weeks. "How? When? What?" Monica rolled her eyes, too upset and tired to have to explain basic reproduction.

"Well when a man sticks his-"

He held his left hand up in interruption, his right hand on his face while two fingers pinched the bridge of his nose. "-yeah you don't need to finish that sentence, I know how it works."

Monica sighed in frustration. "Then why ask such a dumb question?" She snapped, tapping her foot impatiently.

Joshua glanced behind him, before speaking. "When?" Monica rolled her eyes. Typical Joshua Uley, can't remember who he sleeps with and when. She felt a pang in her chest for the poor mother inside, who was either choosing to ignore her boyfriends infidelity, or was just oblivious.

"The Halloween party Liam Cameron threw, remember?" Liam Cameron and his girlfriend of three years April, had welcomed their little boy Jared into the world only three months prior to the Halloween party, on the twenty-fourth of July. Liam and April were a year older than Monica, and two years younger than Monica's closest friend Sue Clearwater, who had welcomed her first child with now husband Harry three years ago. Only a few months after Sam was born.

A look of realization crossed his face as he blinked in surprise. "Well you know what you gotta do, right?" Monica crossed her arms in defiance, already expecting the next words out of his mouth. So she stood there, on the porch of his home where the snow was now melting into water, and wordlessly awaited the absolute worst thing he could ever say to her.