Chapter one :: simulation

I brush my long, brown, boring hair. Taking a last look in the mirror. I sigh, not pleased with my appearence. I wonder what Nathan's doing right now. Nathan is my brother and moved to Candor a few years ago. Now, it's only me. Alexis, or Alex. Most people call my Alex since I hate the name Alexis. I  turn around and make my way to my mother and father in the kitchen. In only a few hours I'll be able to move away from Abnegation. It's boring here. Everything's grey. The kitchen's silent. The only sound is crinkling paper from my father's newspaper.

"Goodmorning," my mother greats me. 

I smile, "Morning."

"Are you nervous?" my father asks curiously. Of course I'm nervous, who wouldn't be? Today I have to decide which faction I'm going to. 

I nod, "Very, but I know I'll be fine," I sigh and take a seat across from my father. 

"Which faction are you thinking about? If you stay here, you'll be with us, but if you go to Candor, you'll be to be with your brother."

My mother thinks I'm going to pick Candor or Abnegation, but no. Dauntless. I was never interested in Candor nor staying in Abngeation. 

"Mother, we talked about this. I'm not staying in Abnegation," I place my hand on top of her's.

"I know," she struggles to say since she's choking on her own tears, "do you even know the meaning of the word 'dauntless'?"

I nod, "It's an adjective, and it's showing fearlessness and determination." 

"We should get going," my father states, trying to stop an argument that's about to happen. He gets up and takes a deep breath. 

I nod and stand up with him, placing on my shoes starting with my left foot. I'm tired of Abnegation. I used to love it here, how peaceful and calming it was. That's when I started thinking about Amity. I loved the bright orange clothing, but I'm over that now. My self-esteem was always low, and I thought I was too stupid for Erudite, so I never considered it. Then Nathan left for Candor. Of course I wanted to go to Candor since my brother was there. We were best friends. My parents were so surprised when the blood of his hand dripped in the water, but I wasn't. He told be years before the choosing ceremony that he was going to move to Candor, and I never forgot it. 

Dauntless was just always appealing to me. Everyday after school I would watch them jump on the train or jump off it and roll down the hill.

We arrived at the choosing ceremony and I sat in between my parents.

"Jonas Mason," a man called out.

A fairly tall boy from Erudite stood up and walked to the five bowls. He takes a moment or two to decide, he should've done this before the ceremony. 

He picks up the knife and slices his hand and squeezes it. His blood drips in the dirt that belongs to Amity. 

"Amity," the man calls out once again, he looks relieved and satisfied with his choice. He looks back at his parents who are crying while everyone in Amity is cheering.

Five more people are called up and two pick Erudite, two pick Dauntless, and one picks Candor.

"Alexis Brown," he calls. I see my parents turn their heads to face me in the corners of my eyes. I hug them quick, knowing I won't see them again for a while. 

I walk up there, taking a quick glance at all of the bowls. Water, rocks, glass, dirt, and lava rocks. I pick up the knife and slice my hand. 

I squeeze it over the lava rocks bowl, I look back at the Dauntless faction behind me and they're all on the edges of their seats.