Chapter 29

Unedited

I tried to push myself off the floor so I could go and turn the knob off. My tea had spilled all over and had doused the fire completely. Gas was leaking and if I didn't make a move, I'd end up burning with the house.

A pungent and gross smell had filled the lounge, making me gag through my tears. I managed to stand up using my wrist because my right arm had gone dysfunctional for the time being and my left palm still hurt if I used it. My foot refused to support my weight so I had to slowly limp to the kitchen.

I twisted the knob off and threw the pan inside the sink before dragging myself to the arm chair in the lounge. Slowly, I placed my foot on the table, supported by a cushion and examined it.

I had twisted it so horribly that lines had formed on the skin. I didn't even care for the pain anymore. It was as if this fall had killed my spirit.

I grabbed the box Saifi had left and thanked God for having given him the thought of buying me that.

I bandaged my foot, my elbow and redid the gash on my palm. After that, I fell asleep. No idea how but I guess I was too drained emotionally to stay awake.

"Farhan! I'm back! Open the door it's so cold out here!" I shouted, hugging myself.

I was standing outside the door of his house. It was so cold and fog had settled around, making it hard for me to see the houses clearly.

The door opened and he stood in the doorway, his hands in his pockets.

"I'm so glad to see you!" I smiled.

His mouth didn't even twitch. "What is it Ayesha? You have 30 seconds to explain why you're here."

"I uh- I wanted to say that," I shivered again. It was so cold and it was so hard for me to speak because I was trembling non-stop. "It's- I-"

"Your time's up! Get going before I have you thrown out!" He belowed, scaring me.

Why was he being like this?

"Honey! Who is it?" A female voice called before the door opened wider and Zara appeared beside him. My smile instantly faded.

Why was she here?

"Why are you bothering us now Ayesha? Can't you let us live in peace? Why do you keep coming here?" She demanded, her voice hard as she slipped her arm through Farhan's.

"I know. I wonder why she thinks I'll take her back? Pathetic," Farhan snarled. "You'll get the divorce notice in two days. Don't show your face here afterwards!"

My eyes widened. "Farhan! Wait! Just let me say-"

He slammed the door on my face.

My eyes snapped open and I sat up.

My breathing was uneven and it was dark.

Just a dream. It's okay, calm down Ayesha. It's just a dream.

I realized I had fallen asleep in the same position, with a cushion under my foot on the table. I laid against the back of the chair and took deep breaths to calm myself down. Moonlight poured in through the window that was next to my room.

I wiped the sweat off my neck and face and wondered what to do next. It was still dark outside, I was injured and had no idea how bad the pain would be if I moved. But then again, no one was going to come. Not now, at least. I hadn't even asked Mehak for her number.

Not wanting to rely on anyone, since it is always so easy for people to leave my life, I enouraged myself to get up.

"You can do it Ayesha," I said out loud, placing my left foot on the floor. "You have to do it. You have no other choice. Come on, you can do it."