Chapter 26

Unedited

I tried to get home the entire night but it was totally useless. I checked into a nearby hotel incase some people decided it would be fun to rob me while I had no sorts of transportation.

As I sat down on my bed after a shower, I thought back to how messed up things were.

My heart was screaming at me to do the right thing. And what was that right thing?

Setting Ayesha free? Or letting go of Zara, who I've liked since our university days.

I heard the call for Fajr prayer outside. I knew that the only one who could answer all my prayers was my Allah. I had to kneel in front of Him and beg for answers.

I prayed and stayed on the prayer mat for a long time, praying and asking God to help me make the right decision. After that, I forced my tired body to take some sleep because I was so eager to get home in the morning.

And talk to my wife.

I would've called her but my phone died an hour ago and the hotel staff told me I could only get a charger in the morning. Tossing and turning, I finally fell asleep after an hour.

☆☆☆

Light shined into my eyes and I quickly sat up. I'd been out for God knows how long but when I peered out the window, it was already day.

I quickly jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. After freshening up, I put on my dry cleaned clothes and hurried down to the lobby to check out.

After that, I hailed an Uber and after two hours of anxious wait, I was in front of my house at around 10.

The Uber driver wanted Rs. 7,000 for the ride. I quickly handed him Rs. 10,000 and telling him to keep the change, I ran inside the house.

I was worried that she'd hurt herself. I was super scared that I'd walk in on her in a position I wouldn't like to see her. But as soon as I let myself in, there were no signs of life inside.

The lights were all switched off and it didn't look like people lived in here. I quickly switched on the lights in the hallway before calling out to her.

"Ayesha!"

No response.

I ran up the steps and burst into my room first. No sign of her. Maybe she's in her own room. I quickly crossed the hall and knocked at her door.

"Ayesha? Are you in there?"

Complete silence. My heart racing, I pushed open the door. It was completely dark and nobody was in there. I ran to her bathroom and knocked before pushing it open but she wasn't in there either.

Worry was eating me alive. Was it that she never came home last night? But the car and driver were gone. Where could she have gone if she wasn't coming home?

I opened her closet and the suitcase that she usually kept in there was gone. So were all of the clothes she'd brought here with her. I looked at her nightstand and there was nothing over there either. The picture of her mother and her tiny bunny clock were gone too.

I slumped on her bed, grabbing my hair in frustration.

Looks like she took a decision before I did.

I noticed a folded piece of paper tucked at the side of the pillow and pulled it out. A letter.

Dear Farhan,
I'm writing this to you as my last goodbye. I know you have given your heart to Zara and only she owns it. That's okay. I knew that since the start anyway. I've decided to stay out of your life since the one person we were doing this for is no longer between us. I'll relieve you of the pain and suffering that came with this relationship. I'll relieve you and myself.