Chapter 25

Dedicated to ThavieshaPallawala

Thankyou for the support hon. 🖤

I couldn't believe what had just happened. It was as if I had stumbled upon a movie. Sadly, all of it was true.

The birth father my wife had spoken to me about, the story she'd teared up while telling me, the person because of whom she'd had nightmares, it was him.

Zara's father.

I watched as Ayesha yelled at him, scoffing at how he was worried about somebody he'd abandoned long ago.

In that moment, I couldn't tell what was scarier.

To abandon someone or for that abandoned person to return and stand in front of your face?

My eyes were fixed on Ayesha and I knew she was hurting. And it was all my freaking fault. I was the one hurting her. I hadn't even realized how painful it must have been for her to return to this place.

That too as my assistant even though she was my wife.

I felt like the shitiest person alive at that moment. Not only did I marry her but I treated her worse than I treated my house servants.

And she was and remains a highly dignified person.

Zara screamed and ran over to my wife, who was looking at me.

Those eyes. They were always staring at me. Looking for answers. Hoping for love.

Ayesha shoved Zara off her but she stumbled and pulled at her bandaged hand before hitting the floor. Aswad Uncle ran to help her while Ayesha stood frozen to her place.

I couldn't keep my eyes off her bleeding hand.

Suddenly, Zareena Aunty spewed some nonsense before she shoved me. I stumbled towards Uncle Aswad, my eyes wide. I realized what she'd done.

She'd made it look like I was concerned for Zara.

When I looked at my wife, her eyes were mere holes as she stared at me. She looked crestfallen.

It was the scariest thing I'd ever seen. The sparkle in her pretty eyes was gone. Her cheeks were red. Her breathing was unstable and her bottom lip was quivering. It was hard to tell if she was the same person who had supported me when my mother passed away. The same smiling, child-like girl looked like she had grown old a mile a minute.

She didn't wait for me to respond and stormed outside. I looked at Zareena who had the most satisfied smirk on her face.

I ran out, desperately calling out to her. "Ayesha! Wait, just listen to me! Ayesha! Just for a-"

"Stop!" She screamed and I immediately halted.

The voice that came out of her throat didn't even sound like her.

"Do- do not follow me," her voice quivered as she said that.

My heart felt like it was being squeezed by someone. I couldn't believe I had done all this. I couldn't bear my existence at that very moment.

My mother would be so disappointed in me right now. She'd be disgusted and horrified that I was her son. That I hurt another woman.

I watched in desperation as a thick tear rolled down her cheek. She didn't wait another second before rushing downstairs and out the door. I composed my spiralling emotions and prepared to follow her when I heard Zara yell my name.

"Farhan!"

I stopped in my tracks and turned around to face her and her family. The three of them stood in front of the door of the room we'd been in, Zara hanging off her father's arm. Uncle Aswad didn't look too happy.