17 ; the first task

"You can always find hope in the hopeless, Harry

"You can always find hope in the hopeless, Harry."

Harry got up on Sunday morning and dressed so inattentively that it was a while before he realized he was trying to pull his hat onto his foot instead of his sock. When he'd finally got all his clothes on the right parts of his body, he hurried out of his dorm and knocked on Atlas's, hoping he was already up; he wasn't. Not having the time to wait for his friend, he rushed off to find Hermione and Liliana locating them at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, where they were eating breakfast with Ginny.

"You're already sweating?" questioned Liliana, eyebrows raised.

"Long story," answered Harry, taking a seat, winded.

And speak of the story, into the Great Hall he came, hair disheveled, and his robes not even fixed properly.

"What in the bloody hell were you knocking on my door for?" asked Atlas, taking a seat beside Harry.

Harry's eyes widened. "So you were up?"

"Thanks to you, yeah," said Atlas, pouring himself pumpkin juice.

Hermione and Liliana looked between each other and a small smile started forming on Hermione's lips as she asked, "Does this mean you're speaking to each other again?"

The boys looked between each other, and Harry supposed they were, after all Atlas had apologized, and he couldn't lie that it was great to have his friend back. They both nodded.

"Finally!" exclaimed Liliana, nearly knocking her goblet over. "You've no idea how unbelievable these past few weeks have been."

Harry had a few ideas at how unbelievable it had been, but the most unbelievable came from Sirius last night, and remembering why he'd come down, he waited until Hermione had swallowed her last spoonful of porridge, Liliana ate her last bite of toast, and Atlas took one last sip from his goblet, and then dragged them out onto the grounds. There he and Atlas told them all about the dragons, and about everything Sirius had said, while they took another long walk around the lake.

Alarmed as they were by Sirius's warnings about Karkaroff, they still thought that the dragons were the more pressing problem.

"Let's just try and keep you alive until Tuesday evening," Hermione said desperately, "and then we can worry about Karkaroff."

Atlas shook his head. "I still can't believe that this whole thing is a plot to hurt you, Harry."

"Isn't there always someone out to get him?" Liliana acknowledged grimly.

They walked three times around the lake, trying all the way to think of a simple spell that would subdue a dragon. Nothing whatsoever occurred to them, so they retired to the library instead. Here, Harry pulled down every book he could find on dragons, and the four of them set to work searching through the large pile.