6/17

While the two were silent, moving hoodies and miscellaneous items into boxes and bags, Michael felt eyes staring at him and noticed there was a new weight in the air.

" Yesterday at work. I checked the cameras.

I saw what you did when we were pouring the time before last. "

There wasn't much denying it. No time to spin a tall tale or make himself into an angel or a sore puppy. Mike was caught this time. Simple.

He shrunk. And his father just kept packing for a few seconds.

" I know kids like to get high and do allthat stupid shit. But I was.. Er, uhh- proud. Thinking that you weren't one of those kids.

If I find out you're selling it.., you've got a different problem. "

His fat alcoholic finger waved in Michael's face, then tentatively stuck in the space slightly left of his collar bone.

" Don't let it happen again, Michael. I'm dead serious. "

It backed away just as stiffly and hung in the air, then struck him in the same place on his chest. And again, if he had no self control, Michael would have bust out in laughter.

Theres no way to take this hunk of ham seriously. Furrowed eyebrows, worried eyes. Sweaty. His index finger pecking at Mike's chest like a bird. He was nothing like a god or anything above simple logic. He still smelled like bud light, for Christ's sakes! Funniest man ever. Just god's pawn. You probably smelled so much better.

" I guess your curiosity stage came late in your life, But I'd say thats a good thing. Be smart about it. "

Yeah. Michael dropped the smile he had unintentionally.

" 'N I don't get why you'd do it so obviously is all, kiddo. Am I doing something? "

It was imperative that he'd think fast and calmly.

" Sorry..

I don't know. I just... The anxiety meds weren't working, So I thought.. those....."

Beady eyed and utterly confused, the glasses were removed temporarily for Michael's father to rub his eyebrows, his eyes, and they were returned in due time.

" I know. We'll get something to help you.

I... was under the impression you were getting better? "

" Well, when I take things like antihistamines, they work.

I don't like the Ambien or the Hydroxyzine. They make me sleepy, not relaxed. "

Mr Rue. just thought. The pastly accusatory digit was now curled in a hug with the other index finger. He was less angry and less accusatory now. Confused.

" ..I'm not your psychiatrist. "

He knew.

" You're a very smart boy. Smarter than me. You just make these decisions... "

He knew.

" ....Yeh. "

" And I can't honor every choice you make... . when you don't tell me.. "

" Mhm. " His son said, a bit too rushed.

" Is your homework done? "

" Yes. All-Of-It. "

" Good. Get to sleep, Mic. "

Suddenly feeling conflicted in his own emotion, and quite disturbed, the man moved the boxes over lazily to get to the door.

" I'll get you an appointment in the morning."

The door was now closed softly.

-

A conflict is about Dr. Rue now.

Is his son addicted to pills? How would he know... How couldn't he tell? It was beyond foreseeability. All he knows is that there is no way he could be both alright with, and unknowing of it.

The problem seemed honest enough, he thought. He didn't feel it was all necessary to stress to much about it. The bigger stressor was what the hell he's doing with them.

In a passive mood, he recorded the incident in a journal, signed the date. and put the journal back into his personal desk.

Michael's always been a weird kid. Not crazy or murderous but he smiled too hard when he was happy, and sat glued to his phone for days at a time. God even knows that that kid does behind doors. There's been a time where Dr. Rue has seen him stay *only* in his room for 9 days during summer break. What kid does that?

He wondered if he should write any more in the journal, but instead groaned in annoyance and gently placed the pen down in the drawer as well. He drank again, he slept.

-

June 1st, 2017

I will be 50 in a few we eks

I can no longe r control my kidney or liver problems as I hoped I could

For about an hour today, I felt as if my boy was not mine, or never the kid I ra ised for that matter

It baffles me. No sight of drugs, alcohol

alcohol would've been less concerning. I do it

he stole from me . from VValgreens . at my expense

no one els e in the building knows about it

If I could guess i t was Flouexitine, he'd die if he took Fentanyl. no healthy teenager, in no pain, acts so normal after that much of it in gloveless hands and pockets

I'm stumped

10:11 PM

signed,

Murphy Rue