Retorta

Taimoor

Taimoor.

𝓢ome things you don't realize—can't realize—until you're in the moment. They're too big, too deep. They surround you before you even realize it.

"What was that?" I barked at my sister. She glared at me with the same expression that she'd had since the day we had had that climactic dinner a month ago. Confusion. Frustration. Concern.

"I should be the one asking you this question."

"You didn't tell me Daania was working for the company," Affandi complained, obviously forgetting that his wife was in the room.

"She's working for me."

"Wait, you knew about her and you didn't tell me?" she threw an angry look at her husband, waiting for an explanation.

"I thought it was a one-time thing!" and of course he could not keep his mouth shut. I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I didn't know he was going to hire Daania Mansoor Khan. Honestly, when she barged into this room, I thought he'd kill her."

"You hired the daughter of the man who stole from you? She barged into your office? Why wasn't I notified of this?"

"It was that one time," lie. "None of the board members are aware of this Zeenia. As far as they know, the project will be completed by the set deadline."

"I'm not just a board member, I'm the COO of Mughal Co,. I'm also your sister,"she huffed, almost losing her balance causing Affandi to leap from his chair, his arms wrapping around her.

"Sit down Zeenia. And I was going to tell you once I had the details sorted out," I stared at her, not knowing where this petulant attitude of hers was coming from. "Where did you find her?"

"She's not a thing Taimoor. I did not 'find' her," she said, rubbing her temples. "Besides, she was perfect for you, but-"

"What do you mean was?"

"Will you let my wife sit down?" said wife immediately sat on the edge of the armchair, calves pressed together and angled to the side, her hand on her husband's arm.

"Think about it, she could be the answer to our problems," as if I needed any encouragement, my eyes squeezed shut, she was there. Right in front of me, ready to be taken in the elevator. "She could save you," I hated when she did this. There were certain things I'd tolerate her demanding of me. Certain things I'd let her step over the line to insist on or be critical of. Just because I let her mold certain boundaries didn't mean she could continue to push me... to pull me out of the shell I'd created around myself. Especially about this.

"What are you saying?"

Zeenia and Affandi glanced at one another. They were so in sync with each other that talking wasn't necessary.

"Marry her," Zeenia blurted out and then recoiled from her words like they were kickbacks from firing a gun. I froze.

Ice crystals could have grown in the trail of my stare as it led to her.